MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Free v4 upgrade for v3 purchase?

15 Oct 2020   [#1]
Guys,
Please excuse these questions here. I've got an urgent decision to make and my earlier email enquiry to 'moi@moi3d.com' has no response so far.

1. if I purchase MOI now - will I get a complimentary upgrade to v4?
V4 seems very close to release from what I've read here.

2. Are the general dimensioning tools in the current v4 beta operational and acceptably robust?
I need to output some dimensioned models pretty urgently.

Thanks for any info.
15 Oct 2020   [#2] In reply to [#1]
1. I believe no more on charge for the v 4 release ;)
(you can as owner of the v 3 use the beta v4 till the release )

2. you can use an another Dimension Plugin by Max Smirnov
if the native is not yet sufficient for you!
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7403.133

Here in French but the original is in English! ;)

You can dimension in 3D !

15 Oct 2020   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Viewbyte,

re:
> I've got an urgent decision to make and my earlier email enquiry to 'moi@moi3d.com' has no response so far.

Sorry, I was sleeping.

> 1. if I purchase MOI now - will I get a complimentary upgrade to v4?
> V4 seems very close to release from what I've read here.

Yes, any V3 orders placed now (and going back quite a while) will receive a free upgrade to V4 when it is finished which won't be much longer.

> 2. Are the general dimensioning tools in the current v4 beta operational and acceptably robust?
> I need to output some dimensioned models pretty urgently.

Yes, aside from output to PDF/AI formats which will be in the last V4 beta which should be out in a couple of days.

- Michael
15 Oct 2020   [#4]
Thank you Pilou - you've been very helpful!
15 Oct 2020   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Michael,
Just saw your message. I appreciate the response. Certainly no need to apologies that you aren't on the job 24 hours a day. You shouldn't be :) Sorry to hassle - I'm just in a situation where I need to make a decision with some urgency.

Thanks for the info.
31 Oct 2020   [#6] In reply to [#3]
Well this answers MY question. :) I just bought MoI about 2 weeks ago and was concerned because the beta DL page suggests that v3 users will need to purchase an upgrade to v4. Having just laid out $295, I wasn't so keen on having to pay even more a month or so later. Good to know. Thanks.
31 Oct 2020   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi cookepuss,

re:
> I just bought MoI about 2 weeks ago and was concerned because the beta DL page suggests
> that v3 users will need to purchase an upgrade to v4.

The way it works is that yes normally if you purchase version X you would need to purchase an upgrade for version X+1 , but there is a "grace period" time where if a new version comes out soon after your purchase you will get a free upgrade.

The "grace period" for getting a free v4 upgrade is going to extend back a lot longer then it normally would since v4 has been in development for an unusually long time (v4 is a major rewrite from v3 to move to 64-bit and to a cross platform base with a native Mac build). So the way it will work is any v3 purchase going back about 2 years ago will get a free v4 upgrade but further back than that will need to purchase an upgrade.

The normal grace period time would be more like a few months.

- Michael