MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Converting STP to STL format

6 Aug 2020   [#1]
Hi guys!
I'm trying a trial version to see if it will help me convert STP files to STL format.
When I attempt to import to Moi3D nothing happens. Any ideas?
6 Aug 2020   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Thumper, can you please post the STP file here (or e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com if you want to keep it private) so I can take a look?

- Michael
7 Aug 2020   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thanks so much Michael,
I'd better mail it to you, it's about 92Mb
7 Aug 2020   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Ian, for something that large you'll probably need to use a file sharing service and send a link.

With a large file you're probably running into memory limits though. MoI version 3 (which includes the current trial version) is still a 32-bit program and can run out of 32-bit address space when loading in large models.

This is fixed up in MoI version 4 which is now a 64-bit program and also has some other large file handling improvements like using multiple CPU cores to process objects when loading STEP/IGES/SAT/3DM files which improves loading speed by quite a bit (like 4-5x faster or more). Also v4 shows a progress bar while the file is loading instead of the UI just staying frozen while it's busy loading a file as will happen in v3.

With the v3 trial if it looks like nothing is happening but it is still busy using CPU cycles then let it sit for a while and chew on it, it will probably load eventually as long as it doesn't run out of memory.

There are some settings you can adjust for v3 to make it have a coarser display mesh which can help to reduce memory consumption:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5322.2 .

MoI v4 is very nearly wrapped up and I'm hoping to release it at the end of this month. Once that happens then there will be a trial version for it. The beta version is available to V3 owners at https://moi3d.com/beta.htm .

- Michael
7 Aug 2020   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Ah, thanks Michael.
I'll maybe try again and be really patient. Is that the "loading" bar in the top right? (I gave it about 10 minutes and didn't see any movement)
7 Aug 2020   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Ian, yes if you're using v4 the bar in the top right is the loading bar. It will only move when an object is done being processed though.

If you have a 92 MB file that has just one single object in it, that's a very complex object and it can take a while for it to load. The multi-core processing won't help for that kind of file since a individual object will be processed on just one core.

If the loading bar is showing and it is using CPU then it's crunching away on it so just let it keep going. With just one object in the file the progress will jump from 0 to 100% in one step instead of having any incremental movement.

- Michael
7 Aug 2020   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Thanks Michael, I'll soldier on!
13 Aug 2020   [#8] In reply to [#4]
Will it be released with implemented ES6 and other modern features, (CSS variables) or just ES5 and old CSS?
13 Aug 2020   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Quaritexa, I'm not expecting to update the embedded WebKit version in MoI anytime soon, sorry. There is a lot of work involved with updating that.

- Michael
6 Sep 2020   [#10] In reply to [#9]
I came across some fancy ES6 javascript code for functions, which were hard/confusing to understand, but slightly shorter.
But the functions seem to be easily written as ES5 regular functions, and more understandable.

"let" instead of "var" does not seem to work?
The coder used a reserve word, "final" as well, which yields an error. Maybe there was a lack of testing.

- Brian

Anything before ES6 doesn’t have the let functionality.