MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Plug-ins

6 Aug 2020   [#1]
It would be nice if there was a central repository of plug-ins.

For example I was watching a tutorial on YouTube and saw a plug-in being used. I then searched on the forum for the name to find it and it was attached to a post from Michael made eight years ago.

So they are pretty much just scattered through the history of this forum?

Andy
6 Aug 2020   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Andy, there is a collection of a whole bunch of them here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7841.6

I do want to make a centralized script repository, but there will be a lot of work involved so I'm not sure when that will happen.

- Michael
6 Aug 2020   [#3] In reply to [#2]
>>I do want to make a centralized script repository, but there will be a lot of work involved so I'm not sure when that will happen.<<

Very good idea. Thanks
7 Aug 2020   [#4]
Also would be nice if user modifications/customizations didn't require changing anything in the application installation - i.e. MoI looks for plugins in a user-customizable folder (or hard-coded location in AppData).

Andy
7 Aug 2020   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Andy,

re:
> Also would be nice if user modifications/customizations didn't require changing anything in the application
> installation - i.e. MoI looks for plugins in a user-customizable folder (or hard-coded location in AppData).

That is implemented in MoI v4. In v4 MoI looks for commands in the %AppData%\Moi\commands folder in addition to the install commands folder.

It's a good idea to put them there instead, that way they'll be found automatically by new versions and you won't have to copy them around anymore.

There is also a setting in moi.ini where you can put in additional folders to look for:

quote:

Additional command dirs - Add moi.ini setting under [Commands] AdditionalCommandsDirs= which can be set to a semi-colon delimited list of additional directories to look for commands, in addition to the built in commands and appdata commands.
[Commands]
AdditionalCommandsDirs=c:\path1;c:\path2

- Michael
7 Aug 2020   [#6]
You have a sort of repository plugins in my site! In French but...
...As there is an image or an animation and the original link...

Menu "Scripts en lignes" and "Les commandes"
https://moiscript.weebly.com
7 Aug 2020   [#7] In reply to [#5]
Hi,

What is the order the folders are checked for commands?

It would seem the user defined ones and the AppData one perhaps should be first so any customized commands, like the Dimension one you showed me how to do, would take precedence.

Frederick
7 Aug 2020   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Frederick,

re:
> What is the order the folders are checked for commands?

It checks first in the install's commands folder, then if not found there it checks in the appdata commands folder and if not found there it checks in the additional commands that you can give in moi.ini .

> It would seem the user defined ones and the AppData one perhaps should be first so
> any customized commands, like the Dimension one you showed me how to do,
> would take precedence.

Although it would be helpful for that scenario, there's another scenario where that overriding is bad which is when there has been new functionality added into one of the standard commands with a new release. If you take a snapshot of a command script, put it in a central location and have it automatically override the built in one that means that command will be stuck at the version from that snapshot.

- Michael
8 Aug 2020   [#9]
Create a folder in dropbox.
Copy all plugins into the folder
Create a public dropbox link to the folder
Add it to the resources section here: http://moi3d.com/resources
Done.

When someone uploads a new plugin to the forum copy to the dropbox folder.

Andy