MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Selecting Objects

Show messages:  1-14  15-34

3 Aug 2020   [#15] In reply to [#7]
Hi Andy, if you're still stuck please post a .3dm model file of your case that you are having difficulty with instead of only a screenshot. That will help to give you some advice.

- Michael
3 Aug 2020   [#16] In reply to [#14]
Hi Andy,

re:
> The problem is not extruding, it is how to do the boolean diff if I cannot select the extruded text.
> I.e. after it has been extruded and positioned where I want it.

Can you please post a .3dm model file with the extruded text that you are having difficulty selecting? Then I will be able to show you some possible techniques.

But my guess based on your description is that the easiest is to probably use the Edit > Hide button when you are at the stage of the boolean where you want to select the extruded pieces. That will hide the base object so it will be out of the way and you can then see the extrusions easily to select them.

Another way to do it is to use some window selections.

I do have some ideas on making this kind of embedding operation to be easier in the future, either with a "depth limiting" option in the boolean command or with an automatic boolean incorporate into the extrude command when you have curves and also a base solid selected. That's something pretty high on my list to figure out after v4 is wrapped up.

- Michael
3 Aug 2020   [#17] In reply to [#14]
duplicate the piece with round shape ... ctrl c ctrl v .... and move it

delete the other

now you see only the text Karen ( work on it .. extrude fillet etc ... ) and place the result on your shape for boolean or other action
3 Aug 2020   [#18] In reply to [#14]
Andy, in your case, you should use extrude - both sides.
Hide and Lock commands in combination with selection.
3 Aug 2020   [#19]
Michael - I've been uploading animated gifs not screenshots. Try opening the gifs in your web browser from the local file. It seems Dropbox only shows the first frame of the gif which is a pain. Can this forum allow URLs to embed images? I can't see anything relating to markdown.

I now tried doing this:

Select substrate
Under styles click on Red
Click on the eye next to Red to hide the substrate
Select the inlay parts
Under styles click on Blue
Click on the eye next to Red to show the substrate
Click on the right of Red to select it (yellow dot)
Click on boolean
Click on Done
Click on the right of Blue to select it (yellow dot)
Click on Done

but this results in the substrate becoming hollow rather than just having a pocket for the inlay. See this animated gif:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfiwwd4skf0wpm0/MoI3.gif?dl=1

File is attached.

Andy

Attachments:
Karen Tag.3dm

3 Aug 2020   [#20] In reply to [#19]
Hi Andy, yes I've been seeing the animation but a file is also very helpful because then I can actually repeat your steps over here, see if there are any issues with the geometry like are they slightly off position, etc... and also use your objects to demonstrate what can help.

The animation is great for helping to understand what you are seeing but the .3dm file helps a lot with testing and offering solutions.

- Michael
3 Aug 2020   [#21] In reply to [#19]
file joined

trim the surface to separate letters ... extrude elsewhere ... ok now
3 Aug 2020   [#22] In reply to [#21]

select only the face of the K ( ctrl c ctrl v ) and extrude
3 Aug 2020   [#23] In reply to [#19]
Everything seems to be OK.

Select the finished part and click on the square in the desired layer, everything will be in one layer.

Attachments:
Karen Tag.3dm
select.mp4

3 Aug 2020   [#24] In reply to [#19]
Hi Andy, so first I'd recommend using MoI v4 it's quite a bit more up to date than v3. You can get it at https://moi3d.com/beta.htm .

To select your cutting objects in this case I'd use either window select or you can use the Edit > Hide button inside the boolean command and that way you don't need to set them on different styles.

Window select way looks like this:

Edit > Hide way looks like this:

Note that doing a boolean between 2 styles like this will result in a multi-style object result, and when you use the scene browser to hide Style = Blue it will hide those face sub-objects. I think that's what you're running into with your steps above. Just show the faces if you want to see the whole object. You can then assign the style again if you want to get the whole object on one style.

If you don't want to have booleans result in multi-style objects, it is possible to set that up by a setting in moi.ini under:

[Styles]
DisableSubObjectStyles=y

With that set, the result of the boolean will be all one style = red instead of mixed.

It is not necessary to set up the objects on different styles to be able to hide them though, the Edit > Style button works to hide whatever the selected object is and when you are doing a boolean the base object for the boolean will be selected so you can hit Edit > Hide at that time to hide it. That's what is shown in the second video above.

Hope this helps!

- Michael
4 Aug 2020   [#25] In reply to [#24]
Thanks Michael. I put everything back on the default style and tried it with the selection box. For me it cuts all the way through rather than creating a pocket. Why?

If I do it the way shown in your second video then it works as expected.

Video is here, file is attached:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr3f31id7zwx47k/CutThrough.mp4?dl=0

Also what did you press in your first video to switch to polygon rendering?

Andy

Attachments:
Karen Tag.3dm

4 Aug 2020   [#26]
I am reluctant to use V4 because I don't know how much it will cost to upgrade when it will be released.

Andy
4 Aug 2020   [#27] In reply to [#25]
Andy, on your video, curves are included in the selection, so the detail is cut through.
4 Aug 2020   [#28] In reply to [#27]
Thanks WN. In Michael's video he drags a box and it only selects the surface. If I drag a box it seems to select the surface and edges. Why?

Update - OK I see I have to go to Types -> Curves and hide them first...

Andy
4 Aug 2020   [#29] In reply to [#28]
Hi Andy, yes curves can also be used as a cutting object which cut all the way through an object. So with those selected you had multiple cutting objects.

V4 will be a free upgrade if you've ordered V3 within the past 1.5 years or so, or $100 if you ordered V3 before that.

- Michael
4 Aug 2020   [#30] In reply to [#28]
I've attached a video, take a look.
I hope it helps.

Attachments:
Karen.mp4

4 Aug 2020   [#31]
WN - thanks for the video - it helps.

Michael - ah ok. I ordered Aug 1st 2018 so just a bit too long.

Andy
4 Aug 2020   [#32] In reply to [#31]
Hi Andy, I haven't determined the exact cutoff date for the free upgrade yet. It will be at least Sep 2018 so yes you might end up just barely outside it.

- Michael
4 Aug 2020   [#33] In reply to [#32]
Bummer.

Andy

Message 9906.34 was deleted

Show messages:  1-14  15-34