MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: How to remove naked edges

20 Jul 2020   [#1]
Hi, My object has a ton of naked edge. I can highlight them using the n button but how on earth do I remove them.. If I selected all the edges and join it just creates a new standalone edge. I just want the model to become watertight so I can do further booleans on it.

The image shows the naked edges..

Image Attachments:
ddddf.png 

20 Jul 2020   [#2] In reply to [#1]
never see this problem

save your file

select all solids or faces of your objects

ctrl c

delete all

ctrl v to call your selection back

if you have a script named ' Select by type ' ... it's easier ... select a face and the script will select all similar parts ( faces )

idem for edges or solid ... cool script
20 Jul 2020   [#3]
Post your 3dm file ;)
20 Jul 2020   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Simon, yes can you please post the 3DM model file?

Edges have to be close enough together for them to be joined instead of naked, you could get something like you show there if the edges there are kind of wiggly and wiggle in and out of that distance like with some areas close enough but other areas just a bit too far away.

It's hard to diagnose what's going on from a screenshot though, the model file would help a lot. If you want to keep it private you can e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com .

- Michael
20 Jul 2020   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Simon,

sometimes helps to Scale model (downsizing - divide by 1000) then Join to make solid, but it depends on model conditions.

Mik
21 Jul 2020   [#6]
Thank guys. Here is the 3dm attached..

Attachments:
Motivator_01_c.3dm

21 Jul 2020   [#7] In reply to [#6]
waouh

i try to rebuild some parts ... some segments are so small that i need double spectacles ;)

very small gaps ... hard to close the face ... see ya ;)
21 Jul 2020   [#8]
As your "eyes" are the same than the other side maybe you can try to erase than copy past...

But better is refound how you have build all these for avoid that the next time! :)
21 Jul 2020   [#9] In reply to [#6]

impossible to solve without rebuilding the boolean diff parts on top of the head

so i rebuild the part to obtain a solid to boolean diff ( construction lines on the 3dm file )

now the head is solid without this constellation of small segments

same problem for the mouth ... select border ... join extrude and boolean diff ok
21 Jul 2020   [#10] In reply to [#9]
maybe it could be useful to do an incremental save

project 1.1 ... 1.2 etc

sometimes it's easier to find where is a problem ... your's I never see that

maybe there is a script to do that ... in 3dsmax or other softs it's VERY useful and recommended ;)
21 Jul 2020   [#11] In reply to [#6]
Hi Simon, I've attached a tuned up version that is all solids now. I needed to untrim and then retrim those misbehaving areas.

Did some parts of this object happen to be initially created at a much different scale level than other pieces?

- Michael

Attachments:
Motivator_01_c_solid_3dm.zip

21 Jul 2020   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Thank you chaps for looking int this and apologies for creating such a nightmare model.

I actually built it a couple of months ago but I dont recall that I did any wild scaling (although I guess its possible I 'could' have changed the modelling units mid build and done something but I cant confirm)

TBH I'm not that interested in finishing this model as it was just a little concept test but mainly interested in the technique that you use to fix it. (I hope it didn't eat too much of anyone's time.)

Now I know that I will need to look at untrim/trim in future. (Join/separate is normally my goto fixing method). Thanks Micheal for the solution!!

A big thank you to everyone who took the time to look at this.

Simon