MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Node Editor • Rotation Range

19 Jul 2020   [#1]
Hello MoI friends!

I was just wondering if anyone could kindly help me with my Node Editor question please? I am basically wondering what the procedure is to achieve a random rotation on a single axis (X,Y or Z). The added complexity is how to achieve a random rotation within a specific range, for example only angles between 200° - 290°? So it would basically be a node network that would allow me to randomly rotate an object within a rotational limit (range).

Alternatively, is there a way of adding a chamfer (not a fillet) to corners using nodes?

If anyone knows of a way that I can achieve this, I would be most grateful for your time and knowledge.

Many thanks!

Stay safe,

Tim
19 Jul 2020   [#2] In reply to [#1]
I am affraid that Chamfer is not implemented!
You must simulate it! (Boolean Diff for example)
or maybe this (no time to test now :( (working without node! So I am confident ;)

Edit : Tested! Seems that is working only on a Volume, not only on edge(s) or surface(s)!
Better than nothing! :)

For the random : https://moiscript.weebly.com/basic.html#biberandom
19 Jul 2020   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Tim

"angles between 200° - 290°? So it would basically be a node network that would allow me to randomly rotate an object within a rotational limit (range)."

Try the nod file below, & let me know if this works for you.
Otherwise I can change to suit your needs.

James
https://www.instagram.com/nodeology/

Attachments:
royayeRand200-290.nod

19 Jul 2020   [#4] In reply to [#2]
Thank you for your kind response Pilou, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge! :)

Using the Fillet2 node is definitely something that I will use in my workflow. Thanks again for taking the time to experiment and share your findings.

Shame about the chamfer, but there are plenty of workarounds. ;)

Kind regards,

Tim
19 Jul 2020   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Hi there James,

Once again you have absolutely nailed what I was trying to achieve! Thank you so very much for kindly sharing your time and extensive knowledge. I really do enjoy studying your node circuits and have already learned a great deal from the many times that you have shared your fantastic node networks. I got pretty close with this random angle experiment, but just couldn't get it to remain within a range. I can see that the math node is pretty essential to achieving this.

Thanks again James, I am always grateful for your time and effort.

Kind regards,

Tim
21 Jul 2020   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Tim,

It occurred to me that this could simply be achieves with Point/JitterPts node.
Perhaps this may suit your purposes better.

James
https://www.instagram.com/nodeology/

Attachments:
jitterRotate.nod

Image Attachments:
jitterRotate.gif 

21 Jul 2020   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi James,

Thank you so much for kindly giving this additional thought. Your posts are always like Christmas morning gifts for me! :) Again, I am most grateful for you sharing your knowledge, I always learn so much from your fantastic networks. I learned a great deal from your previous solution and now better understand the math node that you used. Quite a brilliantly simple solution to use a multiplier on the randomly generated number (0-1) x the rotation amount, added to the minimum rotation angle (in a clockwise rotation)! Great fun learning these techniques and imagining the endless scenarios archievable. This JitterRotate looks great! I love the Jitter node and the happy accidents that can be generated with it.

I really like this simpler alternative James, thanks again, always super-grateful for your educational solutions!

Stay safe and happy Noding! ;)

Tim