MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Layer Styles?

17 Jul 2020   [#1]
Hello Michael,

can you add some kind of different line-styles for layers?
for hiden lines(- - -)
centerlines,(_ . _ . _ . _)
alternative positions (_ .. _ .. _ .. _)
And maybe with different thicknes?

I know this is going in a CAD-drawing direction.
MOI have a very good snapping system and i use it for a lot of 2D vector stuff.
Now with the DIMENSION system, its just a "small" step to a nice CAD-drawing application.

And can Moi natively support some kind of plugin-installer for user scripts/addons?
From a online database? Or by a downloaded zip file?
Its a bit user-unfriendly to get some features like the "Highlight naked edges" manualy bind to a shortcut.
there are so much undocumented features possible, that no ones know.

Some native kind of the super useful "extendet scripts" menu/button would be great.
(somehow i could not get it working in V4) ;-(

i cant wait to buy the V4 Update.
Moi is my swiss army knife for CAD and its worth every €!
One of my best investments ever.

please keep up the great work...
17 Jul 2020   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi BlackBird,

re:
> can you add some kind of different line-styles for layers?
> for hiden lines(- - -)
> centerlines,(_ . _ . _ . _)
> alternative positions (_ .. _ .. _ .. _)
> And maybe with different thicknes?

That is something I want to add but it won't make it into the V4 timeframe.

> And can Moi natively support some kind of plugin-installer for user scripts/addons?
> From a online database? Or by a downloaded zip file?

I have some ideas for having an online database for this with a way to browse it built into MoI.

It's also something that I want to add in the future but also won't make it into the V4 timeframe. There will be quite a lot of work involved in making this so I'm not sure when it will happen.

- Michael
5 Sep 2020   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael,

Thought this might be the best thread to expand from...

I have a few questions (and ideas) about objects and organising them into layers or what can be viewed as 'Object groups' when they might come imported from external applications.

Autocad/dxf
is there ways (or will there be) to put imported dxf curves info on different moi layers automatically on import? Looks like layer names or likely lineweights are favourite.

https://documentation.help/AutoCAD-DXF/WS1a9193826455f5ff18cb41610ec0a2e719-7a51.htm

Illustrator
I understand the import export is based on eps / ai (vs 8)
Theres a thread I read somewhere about exporting layers to illustrator.
by applying styles....once this is set up can moi import layers
from illustrator?

Pdf pages
Just an idea map pdf documents like this: pages to layers.
10 page document creates 10 moi layers.

Universal import
If any comaptible vector document is single page file and has a number or defined "mapped file name syntax" (or simple prefix) say
~10filename.eps
THEN....
after import those curves are place on
moi layer "10filename"

Very interested to hear your thoughts on this, dont forget to enjoy the weekend though!

--- Stefano
5 Sep 2020   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Stefano,

re:
> Autocad/dxf
> is there ways (or will there be) to put imported dxf curves info on different moi layers automatically
> on import? Looks like layer names or likely lineweights are favourite.

Yes, that's a new feature in v4 that the DXF importer will read in layers in the DXF file and make styles in MoI from them.

> Illustrator
> I understand the import export is based on eps / ai (vs 8)
> Theres a thread I read somewhere about exporting layers to illustrator.
> by applying styles....once this is set up can moi import layers
> from illustrator?

No, importing and exporting are pretty different things. MoI can export layers to AI v8 format but not read them in from AI as of yet.

re:
> Universal import
> If any comaptible vector document is single page file and has a number or defined "mapped file name syntax" (or simple prefix) say
> ~10filename.eps
> THEN....
> after import those curves are place on moi layer "10filename"

It seems kind of unusual - are there other programs that use certain character sequences in filenames to trigger behavior like this?

I think it would be possible to make a plug-in that would behave like this.

- Michael
5 Sep 2020   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Michael,

Re: dxf very interested to see the v4 final or dialogue or at least a demo of that. I wont be in trial mode soon ;0)

From my experience DXF curves can be clunky sometimes inside various drawing packages (esp. If supplied by others). MoI3d dxf import seems faultless so far. DXF are still the defacto "input" or exchange standard in my industry for cad to cam; ending up on cnc.

Re: "ai" and "illustrator"
Whilst i might not be an adobe-fan, nice to hear layer imports can maybe be introduced in future; it will open up more options for all.

Re: universal file import and pdf
I'm not saying all my ideas are conventional nor that a filename syntax
is required. I thought using import filenames could be a simple way to make certain files do certain
things - perhaps as a script before a baked in feature. For single file imports a command "import file to layer/style/object name"
would or could work. Only advantage of using filename syntax is it might get people like me working to filename structures.
The fundamental part is this:

Why bother typing a layer/style or object type name when it could come from the filename?

Taking it further... Immagine I want to import 10 files .eps .dxf or ai in one go??

Could we maybe consider to try testing something soon for these examples:
》1. Single file name imported creates to single named moi layer/style (e.g file#4 as an example)
》2. multiple file selection to multiple layers - creates many layers/styles (e.g. file #1,2,3&4)
》3. Multi-page pdf to multi layer moi file, where each page is a layer/style - creates many moi layers/styles.
(testing pdfs at moment). Seems this last one could take the "page name or bookmark" from the pdf
or just take page numbers if that was too difficult.

I think this is power and usability and seems you likely have the framework.
5 Sep 2020   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Example graphic used where 'all layers' or all pdf pages are merged.

1. Single file import..
Single file import just takes an .eps dxf or .ai file and 'pastes' into moi3d and creates
the layer name and style.

2. Multi file import would create 4 MOI3D' layers'
File #1
File #2
File #3
File #4
.eps files attached in this example.

3. Multi page pdf.

Moi imports the pdf its 3 page numbers or 3 bookmarks in this example
each page is effectively seen as a seperate layer/object group and on top of each other.
Moi creates the layer/style/object names.

Note: At moment moi seems to be able to import multi page PDF documents
- but all on one drawing area.

Attachments:
1-TO-MOI-1.eps
2-TO-MOI-2.eps
3-TO-MOI-3.eps
4-TO-MOI-ALL-OBJECTS.eps
MOI3D_#2_import-multiple-files-to-STYLES-or-object-layers.3dm
PDF-LAYERS-TO-MOI.pdf

Image Attachments:
all-layers-or-pages-ON.jpg  MoI-file-name-to-styles.jpg  PDF-PAGES-TO-MOI-BOOKMARKS-AS-LAYER-NAME.jpg 

5 Sep 2020   [#7] In reply to [#5]
Hi Stefano,

> Re: dxf very interested to see the v4 final or dialogue or at least a demo of that. I wont be in trial mode soon ;0)

If you have an example DXF file where you wanted layers to come through, if you can post it I can convert it and post the result back and then you can see what that looks like.

re: file import to style with filename, try the attached plug-in.

- Michael

Attachments:
ImportFilenameToStyle.js

5 Sep 2020   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Many thanks for this Michael, I anticipate to have the license on
Monday just deciding which reseller.. best I try dxf bit later. I think I've seen enough and want to move forward now.. really like flexibility the software can provide and excited to get things done to my ideas...

FYI:
My intention is to develop a very fast workflow for creating models all basically same product, mainly just with dimension changes... then export and render these fast...

One question, very relevant to this potential workflow is...
Can a dxf or vector object that's been imported be identified easily by line weight, object name or some other feature like colour or the 'style layer' it's on?
Basically I would create a load of points, dots or shapes
and want these individual 'reference objects' to be replaced with a moi3d library object, in a click.

You can presume these objects will start as 2D or have ZO
until moi takes over :0)

Kindest Regards

Stefano
5 Sep 2020   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Stefano,

re:
> Can a dxf object that's been imported be identified easily by line weight or some other feature
> like colour or the 'style layer' it's on?

Currently MoI does not have any support for assigning line weights, and colors cannot be set as an individual object property. An object's color in Moi comes from the style that it is assigned to.

But I would think the style/layer that its on could be used for that.

But I'm not sure that I entirely understand what you're trying to do by identifying the imported object.

- Michael
5 Sep 2020   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Hi Michael, I feel that's great for now. Will 'get stuck in' learning moi3d (v4 etc) next. Probably best to create a seperate post with an example on my particular object 'swapping' idea bit later. Thanks again for your
answers that have created positive momentum.
-- Stefano