MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Is there any non-destructive way of designing?

14 Jul 2020   [#1]
Hello, I'm looking to get into MOI3D, used trial version for a bit, but what really draws me back from purchase is seemingly no way of altering the objects one the action has been completed. For example, changing the champhered edges profile without having to delete and re-build it from scratch.
Is this really the case? Was this feature really not needed? Will such features ever be considered and implemented? Thank you.
14 Jul 2020   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Haz, yes that's correct MoI doesn't have a method of adjusting things like chamfers after you place them. If you think you will want to change those it's a good idea to save off a version of your object before doing the chamfer so you can do a new one.

There are many other CAD programs that do what you are describing, they are called "feature based parametric solid modelers. If adjusting parameter like that is important for you then one of those programs such as SolidWorks, Alibre, Solid Edge, OnShape, etc... would probably work better for you than MoI. The focus in MoI is on making it quick and easy to do simple objects.

I would like to add functionality like that into MoI in the future but it's a big area of work so I don't know when that will happen.

- Michael
14 Jul 2020   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Haz -

I use one or more of the methods below, depending on the complexity of the model:

Save a new version at regular time intervals so I can go back in "history" and retrieve an earlier version of the object(s). You can open two instances of MoI and copy/paste objects between them.

Copy an object before performing fillets and booleans and move it off to the side for safe keeping.

Copy an object before performing fillets and booleans, assign a unique Style (color), then hide it. Easy to bring it back at any time and it will be in the same position.

Ed Ferguson
14 Jul 2020   [#4]
For that you want there is the free Fusion 360
14 Jul 2020   [#5] In reply to [#1]
Hello Haz, the Node Editor has some fairly useful non-destructive options if it suits what you're trying to achieve?
20 Jul 2020   [#6]
Else you have this way! ;)

21 Jul 2020   [#7] In reply to [#6]
sacré Arrimus ! sa non destructivité fait plaisir à voir ! ;)

perso cette mode du non destructif me laisse de marbre ... i don't care ;)

on n'éprouve pas tous le besoin de revenir en arrière ! lol

Message 9883.8 was deleted