MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Is there a way to avoid having sharp edges (Kayak edges) after you join two surfaces created using network?

Show messages: All  1-6  7-14

25 Jul 2020   [#7] In reply to [#4]
Hello and thanks for your reply Ed(EDDYF) and sorry for my late reply,
by "kayak" I meant sharp edges if you find the attached images in my reply for Phiro you can see my question in pictures. :-)

And thanks for your informative reply :-)
25 Jul 2020   [#8] In reply to [#5]
Hello Michael,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late reply.
If you find the attachments in my reply for Phiro you can see my question in images. But I think u answered it already! so, I will ask you a new question How to create one large Network? just by mirroring my curves? Is that it? Well I will try it as soon as possible. :-)
25 Jul 2020   [#9] In reply to [#3]
Hello Bemfarmer,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late reply! :-) I was kind of busy.

If you find the attachments in my reply for Phiro you can see my question in pictures!
25 Jul 2020   [#10] In reply to [#6]
Question 1 : You right : for be tangent you must have Control Points Aligned

Maybe you can use these free one for post your images! ;)
https://imgbox.com

Use the "Full Size" then copy a part of the link (BB Code) with a little change

[IMG]https://images2.imgbox.com/ad/18/s4CjL47H_o.jpg[/IMG]

becomes for this forum (without the " " after the "<" )

< img src="https://images2.imgbox.com/ad/18/s4CjL47H_o.jpg"/>
so

25 Jul 2020   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Hello PILOU,

Thanks for your reply, I have successfully edited my post now I think you can see the images with ease.
Thanks for the info.
25 Jul 2020   [#12] In reply to [#5]
Hello Michael,

I tried to use one single large network but either it took never ending calculation or failed to calculate or created a weird shape!
25 Jul 2020   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Hi Psygorn, so yes your curve tangents are all set up like you thought. The problem is that will only make the network surface to be tangent at those particular spots. At the interior areas the surface shape will be a kind of blending of all the curves. You can kind of get a feel for this if you turn on surface control points.

Sweep can be better for this type of shape instead of Network, especially for a 3 sided layout.

I've attached an example file, if you load the file SweepTangent.3dm you can select this curve for the profile:

Then these as the 2 rails:

Then enable the "Maintain tangent" option:

A sweep made with that option will keep all the cross sections generated for the sweep to be on parallel planes, like this:

This kind of construct then has the full surface to be tangent at the centerline, so it can be mirrored ok:

If you turn on surface control points for the Network you can see that the generated surface won't have that kind of sections on parallel planes type structure, it will be influenced by things like the different lengths of the curves.

To use Network it's making a weird shape because for Network the curves have to form a regular 2D grid, sort of like a set of latitude and longitude lines, so you'll need to join together some pieces so it has that type of layout. So for your case here that would be like this:

If you open the attached NetworkExample.3dm file and select all the curves and then run Network that should work.

Another layout that would work for Network is to have these 3 as separate curves, and then the bottom one joined together, then that makes a Network with the "pole" at the tip:

If you turn on surface control points for each of these Network results you'll see that on the first one there are "poles" at the ends, and the other one has one "pole" at the top:

The result you were getting that was chaotic or didn't finish calculating is because Network was not able to get a regular "latitude/longitude" layout from those curves.

Hope this helps!
- Michael

Attachments:
NetworkExample.3dm
SweepTangent.3dm

Image Attachments:
psygorn_network1.jpg  psygorn_network2.jpg  psygorn_network3.jpg  psygorn_network4.jpg  psygorn_sweep1.jpg  psygorn_sweep2.jpg  psygorn_sweep3.jpg  psygorn_sweep4.jpg  psygorn_sweep5.jpg 

25 Jul 2020   [#14] In reply to [#11]
Yes we can see them, but they are some bigger! :)

That is curious because I have this option enabled on the Forum option ?
"Resize images and reflow page to prevent horizontal scrolling."

PS Curious that works now when i reload the page!
So all is ok ! :)

Show messages: All  1-6  7-14