MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Newbie, my first day of using MoI

4 Jul 2020   [#1]
Hi everyone, just want to say hello :)

Read about MoI while checking out some movieprops -makers online and decided to download the free trail version. Watched a couple of turtorials on YouTube and used it for the first time yesterday (I have back in the days when I had a machineshop used SolidWorks alot). Must say that Im very impressed by the MoI -layout and performance, awesome software that are easy to learn as well. Im really glad I found it and are planning to buy myself a licensed version asap. Ironically Solid-Sweden have been spamming me nonstop with very costly purchase offers for several weeks (asked them about pricing, since Im planning t set up a small shop again). Really happy I found MoI, now I can spend money on machines and materials instead of softwares ;)

Heres a printscreen of my first MoI trail -sketch. Fastest way of learning is probably to draw fun stuff so I decided to have a go on a futuristic flatband -slingshot (90 x 125 x 20mm), its obvoiusly not optimized to be manufactured at all but more of a way to learn the program, its features and basic workflow, took me about 6-7 hours at the same time exploring how things works. The biggest surprize is how well MoI works with Illustrator, heres a lot of synergies to take advantage of. Thanks for an awesome software.

Image Attachments:
026C83A6-D3B4-46F8-A4D9-AAF644F76C97.jpeg 

4 Jul 2020   [#2]
Cool first work and revival!
Seems just the rubber is missing! ;)
4 Jul 2020   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi MAG, welcome to the forum and to MoI! I'm glad you are liking it. That's a great result from the first day!

- Michael
15 Jul 2020   [#4]
Thanks! Really like the software and are now slowly learning by making my second project, a Bladerunner inspired kind of revolver thingy :)

Drew a fast basic 2d-design in illustrator and are modelling up one half in MoI, dont know if its the best way of doing it but are kind of learning as I go along... next up is adding/finalizing details and then trying to figure out how to do some textures and rendering. Should I prepare the model by union all the seperate components that are supposed to get the same texture or can I export it all as one single object? Am thinking of trying out Adobe Substance, Dont know... looks quite promising... and not too complicated

Image Attachments:
5C1E5918-B730-43F8-B1E1-0A7DB46D5A71.jpeg  A06BCA48-6AE0-483E-8FE6-6E59E1450DF7.jpeg  AED27FCF-DC3E-4584-83C6-2E9D6D187856.jpeg  AFDC4202-A6FE-4C61-A340-39D708FA747B.jpeg 

15 Jul 2020   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi MAG, that's looking great!

> Should I prepare the model by union all the seperate components that are supposed to get the
> same texture or can I export it all as one single object? Am thinking of trying out Adobe Substance,
> Dont know... looks quite promising... and not too complicated

When you export out to .obj format, the styles list will become the materials list and the style assignments in MoI will become material assignments.

So if you set all objects that you want to have the same texture in your render to have the same style in MoI that should get it all set up.

- Michael
22 Jul 2020   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Big thanks for the help Michael, really appreciate it. Really fun working with Moi and super easy to use Styles.

Heres how my first test render turned out with the help of some Procreate -touch up on the iPad.

Have a nice evening.

Image Attachments:
F22EAC2C-C8FB-4B07-A829-52762457D438.jpeg 

22 Jul 2020   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi MAG, it turned out well! - Michael