MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: IMPRINT Command or Script

25 May 2020   [#1]
Dear all,

I need to imprint a pattern to a curved surface. AutoCAD have this imprint command and it was very useful at all. I have already search the internet for a solution but I couldn't find a script that regarding this command to use it in Moi3D.

I try it with Deform - Flow but it is different for what AutoCAD do. Anyone knows were to find a script that do the job.

Thank you so much.
25 May 2020   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Have you an image Before / After of the Function wanted ?
And an 3DM file? ;)
25 May 2020   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi RayCAD 1962, I was not familiar with the AutoCAD Imprint command, so I looked it up here:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/ENU/AutoCAD-Core/files/GUID-501AEEF4-5769-48A6-AE8D-2616F9B640C9-htm.html

It seems that it is a way to cut up a planar face using a curve that is on the face?

You can use the Edit > Trim command in MoI to do that, you don't need a separate script.

First select the solid that you want to imprint. Then run Edit > Trim. At the "select cutting objects" prompt select your curve, and right-click in a viewport or push "Done". Then the prompt shows the next step of the Trim command which is to select which pieces you want to remove. In this case you want to keep all the pieces so just push "Done" or right-click in a viewport. Also it may be convenient to turn on the "Keep all joined" checkbox that shows at this stage so it will keep the pieces connected together. That kind of makes it easier to then extrude since you can select faces and extrude those and when you extrude a face sub-object it will automatically boolean the extrusion to the main object.

In the future the trim step will probably be built into Extrude as well but for now you would use a combination of Trim and then Extrude.

Another way you can do it is instead of doing Trim you can extrude your curve downwards to make a solid and then use that solid as a cutting object with boolean difference.

If you're still stuck please post a .3dm model file in it with your objects that you are using.

- Michael
25 May 2020   [#4]
Dear all,

Thank you so much for your help because I manage to do it. Your help is so appreciated because from you I learn a lot.

Again, thank you.