MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Ship hull tutorials

Show messages:  1-7  8-27  28-47  48-67  68-87  88-107  108-127  128-129

2 Jun 2020   [#48] In reply to [#44]
Hi Gord, so it looks like those pieces just don't quite align to each other:

There's a gap of about 0.006 units there, that's just a little over the join tolerance. Also there's a really skinny slivery face in that block piece.

To get a piece that will join it would be good to build it directly off of the surface edge instead of from some other curve.

One problem though is that your surface is not trued up to be flat at its end, if I draw in a horizontal line through this point here:

If I then zoom in on the other side over here:

I can see that the surface does not follow that horizontal line, it wanders away from it some:

So before building additional pieces to connect to this surface, it would be good to address that skew and make the surface have a good clean planar end on it.

It's possible to true up the surface by selecting it's end control points and using Transform > Align to line them up so they're nice and straight but it would be even better to look at the curves you used to generate the surface in the first place and make sure that those are trued up from the beginning.

How was the surface created, is it from a Network or Loft? Can you post a file with the curves showing that were used to construct the surface so I can take a look at your curve setup before the surface construction?

- Michael

Image Attachments:
gord_align1.jpg  gord_align2.jpg  gord_not_straight1.jpg  gord_not_straight2.jpg  gord_not_straight3.jpg 

3 Jun 2020   [#49]

1st point : your curves has many many points ... apply Rebuild for each of them ... I change the scale of the boat ... and apply 0.05 mm in the Rebuild command

this is VERY important to do that before network or other surface tool

2nd point ; it is not possible to cap the hull with only one piece ... it's necessary to split along the Y axe of the boat

i do the same in my exemple yesterday

3rd point ... when i copy the 2 pieces ( cap of the hull ) to extrude ... they need to be flat ... select the pieces and join them

then go to left axe and use the selection handles around the piece and move one to obtain a flat piece ( it says Flat when you reach 0 in z axe

after that extrusion and boolean diff ... the boat is solid ;)

if filleting is not possible ... select the curves of the bastingage .. ctrl c ctrl v ... draw a profile and use Sweep to build a piece ... something smooth or not
3 Jun 2020   [#50] In reply to [#46]
" You are near the target! Damned Corchet is not spleeping! :)
https://moiscript.weebly.com/uploads/3/9/3/8/3938813/boatm.3dm "

taquin 2.0 ;)
je vais regarder cette page ;)
bonne journée qd même ... lol
3 Jun 2020   [#51]

you can also cut the boat with any line ... horizontal or not and then the cap of the boat as only one surface
3 Jun 2020   [#52] In reply to [#51]
@ Corchet ;)

3 Jun 2020   [#53] In reply to [#47]
So nearly there! But is it possible to 'glue' the crack in the stern somehow? Or patch it over? This part gets removed when it is made a solid. Or can the panels be closed somehow?

Thanks for all your help guys!

G
3 Jun 2020   [#54] In reply to [#48]
Frames as requested Michael. It was network. They seem to become distorted for some reason.

Thanks

G
3 Jun 2020   [#55] In reply to [#52]
@ Pilou ;)

la nouvelle " croisière ne s'amuse plus ! " ... 3 rangs de rameurs pour faire avancer la barquasse ! ;)

seules les 1ères classes peuvent faire du toboggan sur le pont ...
3 Jun 2020   [#56]
@Corchet! Excellent! :)

@ Gord

Make a shortCut with that!

script: /* Naked edges */ var gd = moi.geometryDatabase; gd.deselectAll(); var breps =gd.getObjects().getBreps(); for ( var i = 0; i < breps.length; ++i ) breps.item(i).getNakedEdges().setProperty( 'selected', true );

As long as you have enleighted something there is something wrong and you will not have a Solid!!!

I believe you must redraw over your existing curves as base! So lock existing !
Draw only one curve on each side of "quad" (no need to draw a second new curve on commun "edges" )

Make a Network one by one "quad" or Loft or Sweep depending of curves

Generally it's more speedy than repear to infinite!
3 Jun 2020   [#57]
9819.53 In reply to 9819.47
So nearly there! But is it possible to 'glue' the crack in the stern somehow? Or patch it over? This part gets removed when it is made a solid. Or can the panels be closed somehow?

Thanks for all your help guys!

G
Attachments:
AttachmentBrede 2 3rd try.3dm

i look at your model

same problem

zoom closer as possible you'll see a gap
when i select the 2 parts of the curve and click Join ... it should be glue the 2 parts and make only 1 curve

try to fix that first
and post the result
to glue that you need to select Object snap

second problem you have an incredible number of points on your curves

select the curves
press Tab
and write Rebuild where the screen becomes blue
at the right of the screen you'll see a panel with Refit and a number click done and

and post the result here
3 Jun 2020   [#58] In reply to [#57]
when you fix that you should see

one curve ( joined ) with few points

that's what you need to reach

3 Jun 2020   [#59] In reply to [#58]
Thanks! I think I cured that gap by manipulating the surface points slightly. Nothing shows when Naked Edges is run. However, try as I might, I still cannot get it to mirror and boolean together as a solid. I planared the top face, it joined OK, but still won't boolean together for some reason.

I think this will be the last boat I'm doing...
3 Jun 2020   [#60] In reply to [#54]
Hi Gord,

re:
> Frames as requested Michael. It was network. They seem to become distorted for some reason.

Thanks for posting the curves!

So the first thing I see is that various curves do not have their endpoints touching on to the curve going in the other direction.

The first spot I checked was here:

And zooming in you can see the section's endpoint does not touch the rail curve going in the other direction:

Similarly here and in most other places:

So that's a big reason why your surface wobbles around a bit instead of being planar at its end. It would be good to tighten up the accuracy of your curves before you generate surfaces.

It is possible to true up the surface afterwards too though. To do that turn on surface control points, select the last row or column of points and use Transform > Align to get them all in a straight line in a side view. Do that before trying to construct additional pieces that should join to this surface.

- Michael

- Michael

Image Attachments:
gord_curves1.jpg  gord_curves2.jpg  gord_curves3.jpg  gord_curves4.jpg 

3 Jun 2020   [#61] In reply to [#59]
Hi Gord,

re:
> Thanks! I think I cured that gap by manipulating the surface points slightly. Nothing shows
> when Naked Edges is run. However, try as I might, I still cannot get it to mirror and boolean
> together as a solid. I planared the top face, it joined OK, but still won't boolean together for
> some reason.

There's a problem in this area:

That corresponds to this little curve fragment in your curves setup:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
gord_anomaly1.jpg  gord_anomaly2.jpg  gord_anomaly3.jpg  gord_anomaly4.jpg 

3 Jun 2020   [#62] In reply to [#59]
Another problem is an area where this curve folds back over on top of itself:

That's going to interfere with making an offset surface, the offset surface will go crazy trying to track along a rapidly flipping surface normal like that.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
gord_fold1.jpg  gord_fold2.jpg  gord_fold3.jpg 

3 Jun 2020   [#63] In reply to [#59]
Hi Gord, some other areas that will be problematic for surface offsetting are a sudden bend in a small area here:

And the top area has a bend in it making a lip in a very small area:

That lip is probably caused by the stations meandering around some to the inside and some to the outside of the top rail rather than being right on it.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
gord_fold4.jpg  gord_fold5.jpg 

3 Jun 2020   [#64]

a small gap on your last try posted in 3dm

here another way ... easy to do ... loft between curves

with cap end ... the result is solid

you can easily build a second piece and boolean diff to obtain a hull with various width

( the yellow line is a guide to align the profiles ... not necessary in the Loft command )

and as usual .. better results with profiles cleaned with Rebuild ;)

model joined ... à toutes fins utiles
3 Jun 2020   [#65]
@ Corchet : Les gondoles à Venise! Excellentissismo! :)

And always the tricky function MoveSliceToPoint by Michael from an existing document
where you redraw the curves! The best and easy way!
http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2749.36

else!

4 Jun 2020   [#66] In reply to [#65]
yes ;)
4 Jun 2020   [#67]

something easy to modify to change the general shape of the " noix de coco " ;) mixture of 2 lofts and 2 networks

1 - 4 lines to loft on each side give only 2 pieces

2 - select the 2 pieces and copy paste

3 - 4 - in the top view draw a line as closest as possible of the middle of the hull ( to prevent join problem ... it's better to do that )

4 - boolean diff to cut the half hull

5 - mirror to obtain 2 perfectly joined pieces

6 - draw a line as show on the pict

7 - before apply network to cap the hull ... join to verify it is closed curved - separate and rejoin the neccessary parts of the border - be sure to have the 3 parts ( in yellow )

8 ' select the four pieces ( 2 caps and 2 hull ) and join ... it's a solid

9 - with only small modfications of the curves in top or left axis ... it's easy to change the general shape of the boat

and possible to add other curves on Z axe to refine the shape for various borders etc ...

Show messages:  1-7  8-27  28-47  48-67  68-87  88-107  108-127  128-129