MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Modeling help

Show messages:  1-18  19-38

17 Jun 2020   [#19]
Hi,

your model is super huge.
Perhaps do you not see the shell because of the size.

I test the shell after having resize and I had no problem.

In the screenshot, Is it the face you want shell ?

Image Attachments:
Capture.PNG 

17 Jun 2020   [#20]
You could have a limit in shell with the corners.
Shell could erase te small face and it is impossible for MOI.

Image Attachments:
Capture2.PNG 

17 Jun 2020   [#21] In reply to [#18]
Hi mk1978, same as Phiro over here - shell is working on your object as long as you stay under a thickness that would cause the area shown above to collapse in on itself. That's around 170 units or so.

What thickness value are you trying to use?

- Michael
18 Jun 2020   [#22]
I have been trying to use 200mm thickness. Now it works perfect, thanks again for help for both!
21 Jun 2020   [#23] In reply to [#17]
First time I've ever used the construction line tag.

Is it possible to make the tag bigger?
It is really small on Hi-Def monitor.

- Brian
21 Jun 2020   [#24] In reply to [#23]
Hi Brian,

re: make construction line tag bigger - the size of that comes from the image MenuLauncherTag.png in the ui sub-folder. If you increase that image size it should increase in the UI as well to match.

I've been thinking of maybe getting rid of that thing and having a "Construction line" section appear on the side pane when you make one instead.

- Michael
21 Jun 2020   [#25] In reply to [#24]
Thank you Michael, I'll try out a larger png. I think W10 power tools has a sizer.

Sidepane section might be good, especially for those of us who do not read all of the documentation :-)

- Brian
30 Jun 2020   [#26]
Again some more questions to understand Moi3D better.

1. Do you know what is the reason why I am not able to perform Union command in this shape? I have been using Boolean / Union but somehow I am not able to combine these solids. Moi3d example file attached.

2. When extruding the form is this (arrow) only visible error or do you think that there is something wrong with the curves that I am using?

Attachments:
ExtrusionTest.3dm

Image Attachments:
Union_Extrusion.JPG 

30 Jun 2020   [#27] In reply to [#26]

your object has huge dimensions - 10000 etc

i rescale

apply join and rebuid on all your curves

extrusions and union are ok ( 3dm attached )
30 Jun 2020   [#28] In reply to [#27]
Thanks for the tip! I always forget that the size may be causing some challenges.
30 Jun 2020   [#29]
You can also add some volumes thickness on some faces of one volume
for not have just "flat" intersection surfaces when you have some complex volumes...
30 Jun 2020   [#30] In reply to [#27]
my bad i forget the subtracted piece
30 Jun 2020   [#31] In reply to [#26]
Hi mk1978, it tends to be more difficult for the booleans to process objects that have overlapping surface areas, it makes for a more complex intersection.

It can work though if the pieces are accurately placed. In your your case here things are off by a bit:

Like corchet mentions above, it's also not so good to have large coordinate values for your objects like having it 10000 units across.

In the attached file, I scaled your objects down by 1/100 in size so they don't have overly large coordinate values and I also just moved your pieces so they were accurately in place and now the boolean should work ok.

- Michael

Attachments:
ExtrusionTest2_3dm.zip

Image Attachments:
mk_bool1.jpg  mk_bool2.jpg  mk_bool3.jpg  mk_bool4.jpg 

30 Jun 2020   [#32] In reply to [#31]
Thanks for the comments Michael. It seems that I have made small errors when editing/mirroring parts so it is good to understand that these are causing the problem. Naturally it is difficult to spot these because the model/parts are huge in size.
5 Oct 2020   [#33]
Again I would like to ask some help in modeling approach. How would you model this kind of shape?

I would need to model a fan duct for a 3D printer and I would like to use this model as a basis. I need to remodel the fan to make it fit to my purposes but how could I create this kind of geometry? I have tried to take some basic planes from the original model and I have tried to use Loft + Shell functionality to create the shape but this doesn't create a solid model but it get splitted. Do you have any ideas how to model this kind of shape that hollow from inside?

I was also able to import the original model to Moi3D as a obj file but it seems really complicated to edit the obj imported model. This is the reason why I was planning to model it with the help of some basic planes from the original model.

Attachments:
ChironFan.3dm

Image Attachments:
Moi3D Model.JPG  Sketchup Model.JPG 

5 Oct 2020   [#34] In reply to [#33]
Short extruded, rectangles, or circles or ovals can be blended between. Select the edges to blend, not curves.
Delete or hide, the curves overlying the edges.
-Brian

The short extrusions can be temporary.
The blended sections can also be blended between.

Make some strategically placed cross sections...Small extrude, Blend, (delete unwanted extrusions), Blend remainder, repeat ...
6 Oct 2020   [#35] In reply to [#33]
Hi,
this may help.
1)Create temporary lines.
2)Blend between them.
3)Loft straight with close and planar to form solid.
4)Extrude Fan chamber.
5)Boolean union and add fillets if required.
6)Remove Entry and Exit faces.
7)Shell.
Cheers
Barry

Image Attachments:
Screenshot (437).png 

6 Oct 2020   [#36] In reply to [#35]
Thanks a lot for detailed instruction. I had not used Blend command earlier and I was not aware that you can use it also for lines. I am not sure how the Blend selects the position/direction of the blend but I finally got it working!

Loft was also giving me really weird results but I finally used Network + Shell commands I was able to create the needed shape.
6 Oct 2020   [#37] In reply to [#36]
Hi,
the blend works by which end of the line you click on when you select them.
The loft works in the order you pick the curves so that's probably the problem you experienced.
Anyway glad your sorted.

Barry
6 Oct 2020   [#38]
Blend also works on edges. Note that cylinders do not have their ends, and there are no curves at the ends, just the edges.

https://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=9222.5

-Brian

Show messages:  1-18  19-38