When mutual trimming 2 surfaces A and B the trimmed part
is hidden within those surfaces.

To delete the trimmed part I cut A and B, then select and delete
the trimmed part,and insert A and B.

Is there a quicker way to delete the trimmed part like
a mutual trim function which automatically deletes the trimmed
part ?
17 May 2020   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Tom, can you please post a .3dm file with your surfaces A and B? That would make it easier to make sure I'm understanding your question and to possibly give some advice.

- Michael
17 May 2020   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael,
File ist attached.

Sometimes I get problems with Boolean Union - that is
when I use trim and delete.

Attachments:
file.3dm

17 May 2020   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Tom, boolean union is usually best if you are working with solids. It should work in your case here.

But for an example for using Trim the way you would do it efficiently would be to select both objects, then run Trim.

Now the command prompt in the upper right corner of the window will say:
"Select cutting objects or Done for mutual trim".

This is the step where you can either select a cutting object, or if you want to do a "mutual trim" where the objects will cut each other you push "Done" or right-click in the viewport without selecting any additional cutting objects. That is what signals the Trim command to do a mutual trim.

Now you're at the stage to select pieces to remove. In your case here with the pieces you want to select being internal there are a few different ways you can do it.

One way that can be convenient is to switch the Mode option:

If you switch that Mode: dropdown option to "Mode: Keep", then instead of picking pieces to remove you instead be picking the pieces to keep. With that mode it's the pieces that are _not_ selected that will be removed. So with "Mode: Keep" you would then be able to select the large visible pieces of the box and sphere and then the internal pieces that you don't select will be removed.

Another way with Mode:Remove is if you angle your 3D view strategically you can do a window select and capture just the internal pieces:

A third option is that when you are picking pieces to remove, you are able to hide objects at that stage. So you can select the 2 exterior pieces that are easy to select by clicking on them, then push the Edit > Hide button on the side pane. That will hide those exterior pieces (and hidden objects are implicitly unselected as well) and expose the inner ones which can now be easily selected. Then finish the command and the exterior pieces will be restored to not be hidden so you're done.

Use any of these 3 methods that you find most comfortable.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
tom_trim_mode.jpg 

18 May 2020   [#5] In reply to [#4]
YES !!!

I did not get it from the manual, but with your
explanation now I understood how to automatically
get the trimmed part deleted.

Thank you Michael, your support is as genious as MOI itself ;-)