MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: What happen to OBJ import?

Show messages: All  1-3  4-6

8 May 2020   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Alan, there is a sub-d OBJ import built in to v4 on the SubD tab on the side pane. It is not for importing any general OBJ file though, only for OBJ files containing a SubD control cage that will then have SubD smoothing applied to it and converted into NURBS surfaces.

re: ImportOBJ script error - you will get that error if you have only copied over the _ImportObj.js file and not _ImportObj.htm . There are 2 files in the .zip and you need to copy both of them over. Note that this script will convert each polygon in the OBJ file into an individual little flat surface. This is generally not a good type of structure for NURBS data so I don't recommend doing this type of conversion normally. It can be ok if you have a relatively small number of polygons though.

- Michael
9 May 2020   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hey thanks Michael!
Yeah I figured out that I didn't copy the html file with the .js file. I got it to work though. I am creating stuff in MODO and need to convert it to a CAD file.

- I was able to bring my OBJ but all the sharp edges converted to a nice soft marshmallow sculpture. Gulp! I need to find out how to import my nice hard edged model and keep it hard edge in NURBS.

Thanks again Michael!

Alan
9 May 2020   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Alan, how many polys in the models you need to convert? Can you show an example?

- Michael

Show messages: All  1-3  4-6