MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Is there an Object Name "Search & Replace" script available?

3 May 2020   [#1]
The YouthQuest Foundation has been acquired by Phillips Programs in order to form an organization that mentors high school and high school graduate students on the autism spectrum desiring to find employment in 3D printing. This came about because we found that MOI3D is THE perfect platform for introducing and teaching 3D design and students on the autism spectrum really respond well to learning it.

Among our goals is ensuring that students know the value of naming objects in a "team" environment where they might begin with a project that someone else started and create derivative products. So, we have created "naming conventions" as part of our teaching.

This allows us to cut and paste objects between .3dm files and know where that particular object originated.

In the uploaded sample, "PSv1.0" is included in the name of every object based on Version 1.0 of the design called "PS". And, "Mv2.0" is an object that was copied from a different .3dm file to be used as a reference. Both "PS" and "M" are different DESIGN STYLES of face shields. "The "XS" and "S" refer to different sizes (Large, Medium, Small & Extra-Small) and we place a version ID on each printed object to better facilitate communication between team members.

It may seem like over-kill. But, in a team it really is helpful to keep track of each version of similar objects.

One thing would be very helpful as we use one design file as the basis for a new version and that would be a script that replaces a part of the name of each object with a new name. For instance, if we want to create a lighter duty version of a face shield based on "PSv1.0XS" (Phillips Shield, Version 1.0, Size Extra-Small) it would be helpful to replace that string with something like "SLv1.0XS" (Shield Lite, Version 1.0, Size Extra-Small) with a single search and replace script.

Does such a script exist?

SPECIAL NOTE: MOI Version 4.0's new measuring feature is an amazing addition to an already wonderful application! And, as you can imagine with our naming convention, we really appreciate the sizable Browser! I already loved MOI3D from version 2; but, my admiration for it has grown with each new version. Nice job!

Image Attachments:
MOI Naming Convention.jpg 

3 May 2020   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Tom, thanks for all your great work with YouthQuest!

For search & replace, I've attached 2 scripts here which can help.

The first one "BatchRename" is for object names, the second one is for style names.

The way the script works is that it will gather up all object names and write them out to a text file.

Then you can open that text file in any text editor you want and make modifications. When you're done editing the text file then push "Done" and the script will read the text file back in and apply any changes to object names.

Hope that does what you need!

- Michael

Attachments:
BatchRename.zip
BatchRenameStyles.zip

4 May 2020   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Wow! That is EXACTLY what we need!

YouthQuest's 3D ThinkLink Lab is now "PHILLIPS Programs Designing Futures" program.

We will be greatly expanding the depth of the 3D design and printing program because we will have more time with the students

The Youth Challenge sites have enough years of experience teaching Moment of Inspiration that they will continue that aspect of our mission independently as we focus on young people on the autistic spectrum who face bleak occupational futures after high school and college.

I have looked at just about every platform to teach 3D design from free to many thousands of dollars (and free to education) and NOTHING I have tried comes close to the ease and power of MOI3D. We only had 1 day per week for 1/3 year to work with the Youth Challenge kids, 1/2 day for two weeks to work with Girls and Boys Clubs and 1hr per day in the short Hampton Roads Horizons summer school program. But, thanks to your interface and remarkable approach to 3D design our students end up being able to designing amazingly complex 3D objects in that short time.

Version 4 adds so many new features that enhance the educational aspects for teachers and students, that we haven't even begun to scratch the surface and how we might integrate MOI3D into other disciplines. Measurement of complex lines and curves is now SO easy and quick that I think we will be able to use MOI3D to demonstrate match concept even to none 3D students using imported images and the simple curve tools.

It jusy keeps on getting better!

Thanks.
4 May 2020   [#4]
French Version ;)
http://moiscript.weebly.com/assignname.html
4 May 2020   [#5] In reply to [#2]
IGNORE THIS: Got it to work! Thanks to both of you!

I placed both the .HTM and the .js files in Program Files (86) > Moi 3.0 > commands

I also put them in the MOI 4.0 command folder

This pops up..

Image Attachments:
BatchRenameError.png 

4 May 2020   [#6]
That is an amazing time saver!!!

My wife could not understand why I was suddenly laughing so hard!
4 May 2020   [#7] In reply to [#3]
Hi Tom,
I think when you first posted, it came with a link where i could contribute... it is so nice having people like you in the world!!!
5 May 2020   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Thanks BurrMan!

We have a page that links to short video with a donate button. Since creating the video, we have striven to create face shield options that address both heavy-duty needs for long term requirements and lite-duty emergency versions that can respond to places like nursing homes in immediate trouble. All in multiple sizes for comfort and stability.

We could not do what we are doing without a great tool like MOI3D that lets us respond to the needs of the responder community so quickly.

https://www.phillipsprograms.org/ppe

While we already owned i3 style printers, we specifically purchased four Raise3D E2 printers for their "Duplication" capabilities just to meet the demand. We are NOT selling these items. We are donating them to non-profit organizations. So, any help people give toward this project will not only help us; but, other organizations as well. One of the facilities, a not-for-profit nursing home had already lost 13 residents when we first contacted them. 51 staff and residents had contracted the virus.

So, I am going to use your own words and point them right back to you for asking... "it is so nice having people like you in the world!!!" :)

Tom

P.S. Do to privacy concerns we may or may not be able to post images of one of our students using a Raise3D at home to print. If we finally have a decision on that I will be sure to post it. But, here is an earlier story about Phillips students printing for a school in Vancouver

http://www.youthquestfoundation.org/unique-cross-country-partnership-brings-history-alive-in-3d/