MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Problem Join surface

24 Mar 2020   [#1]
Hi guys ... I wanted to ask how I can solve this problem

The surfaces have areas that seem not to join .... using sweeps, lofts or other commands gives me an opening in the surfaces .... it does not connect them well leaves openings.

Image Attachments:
problem.JPG 

24 Mar 2020   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Tony, can you please post your .3dm model file? Or if you want to keep it private you can e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com

- Michael
25 Mar 2020   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael, I sent it on the email you provided me because it doesn't load me here .... gives me an error
25 Mar 2020   [#4] In reply to [#3]
I think this is the problem ... as you can see there is an error on the surfaces .... definitely caused by me :)

Image Attachments:
surface.JPG 

25 Mar 2020   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Hi Tony,

re:
> Hi Michael, I sent it on the email you provided me because it doesn't load me here .... gives me an error

I think the error is that it was too large. If you delete all the hidden objects that would make a much smaller file size that should then upload here ok. But I've received it through e-mail so I'll take a look.

- Michael
25 Mar 2020   [#6] In reply to [#1]
Hi Tony, so the immediate reason that it will not join is because there are gaps that are too large in several places, like here for example:

Those kind of look like what you get if you do a "rebuild" of a curve with a tolerance distance that is too low.

One thing that may be making things a little more difficult for you here is the small size of the model, it would be better for it to be either 10x or 100x larger in size so that individual features of your model are not so small.

Also another problem is some pieces are not very precisely aligned, like with these 2 surfaces here:

If I separate those surfaces and untrim them, the underlying surfaces look like this:

And then zooming in to this spot here there is a gap between those pieces:

Although that gap is small enough that it will allow those to be joined, it will make things easier in further steps if they were touching more precisely before they were joined especially with constructing more pieces off of them.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
tony_gaps1.jpg  tony_gaps2.jpg  tony_gaps3.jpg  tony_gaps4.jpg  tony_gaps5.jpg  tony_gaps6.jpg 

25 Mar 2020   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Thanks Michael .... how do you untrim the surface?
25 Mar 2020   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Tony, you can untrim a surface boundary by selecting all the boundary's edges and then use Delete.

Check out here for some more description:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=444.4

- Michael