MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Flow - lack of precision

23 Mar 2020   [#1]
I'm using the 22 Jan 2020 Beta.

I'm having difficult getting the accuracy that I want from the flow function. To illustrate the issue I've created a simplified version of my design.

I have an array of 6 blocks, each 25 mm wide, 85 mm tall and 5 mm thick. So the overall dimensions of the array are 150 x 85 x 5.

Behind and abutting this array is a plane 150 x 85.

Further behind is the target, a cylinder with perimeter 150 and height 85.

Flow appears to do an excellent job projecting the blocks onto the surface of the cylinder, however I've discovered that none of the project blocks occupy exactly 60 degrees.

The screen grab shows one projected block that subtends less that 60 degrees (others subtend more than 60).

The attached file contains the objects described above and the projection.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments:
Flow issue 01.3dm

Image Attachments:
Flow discrepancy.PNG 

23 Mar 2020   [#2]
Seems I have not these disjonctions...

Look how I have made
My start line is on the middle of the boxes

My circle is created with the length circum wanted so no stretch necessary
I have only 60°, 60°, 60° on the middle angles

23 Mar 2020   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Mike, if you're using surface-to-surface flow mode then the problem is that surface to surface mode maps between the UV coordinate spaces of surfaces. There will be some slight compression and expansion of the deformed objects in this mode, depending on how the surfaces are parameterized.

The parameterization of a NURBS surface cylinder is not totally evenly distributed across the arc length of the cylinder so it will not be a suitable tool for doing a high accuracy flow like you want.

However, curve-to-curve flow is done by mapping length traveled along the curve, so it is able to do this kind of work.

So instead of using a plane and cylinder surface, try using line and circle curve objects to do the flow and that may work properly.

- Michael
23 Mar 2020   [#4]
Thank you Frenchy for the worked solution.

Thank you Michael for the explanation.

The curve-to curve Flow does exactly what I need.

Great!

Mike.