MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: About the numeric keypad

26 Feb 2020   [#1]
When I try to use the numeric keypad, I have a problem with the dot key, because the decimal part is separated with a comma, and if I use this key I get a dot.
Also, MoI doesn´t read those dot, and then, if a want a "5,5", I´ll write "5.5" and finally MoI will read this number like "55". Obviosuly, is tedious to use the mouse and the floating number keypad that apperars in MoI when I go into a input dialog box.

Sorry if this question has been answered before.
Thank you!
26 Feb 2020   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi David, what operating system are you using and what country keyboard layout?

Does your numeric keypad have an actual dot or a comma on it?

- Michael
26 Feb 2020   [#3] In reply to [#2]

Hi Michael:
I'm using W10 with spanish ES in the country keyboard.
And the keypad has a dot, not a comma.
It is a " spanish" keyboard because the other keys with words on them are translated.

26 Feb 2020   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi David, so the way MoI works is it looks at your operating system settings and if your OS settings say that a comma should be used for the decimal separator then it will look for a comma and if it says that a dot should be the decimal separator it will look for a dot.

There isn't any way set up for MoI to use both of these characters at the same time, that could easily lead to confusion because for example here in the US "one thousand" can be written like 1,000 and interpreting that as a value of one instead would not be good.

If you change your OS setting to use a dot as the decimal separator then that should make your keypad work ok since MoI will then be looking for a dot as the decimal separator. I think the setting for that is under control panel, "Change the date, time or number format" then "Additional settings", then "Decimal symbol". Something like this:

Or also there are probably some utility programs that can remap the numpad dot to a comma for you, try AutoHotKey for example.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
decimal_symbol_setting.jpg 

13 Mar 2020   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Thank you Michael.(I forgot to do it)