MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Help w/ Sweep

22 Dec 2019   [#1]
Hello Group. I am back after a couple years trying to learn MoI. I'm attempting to model a sink using a sweep with 2 profiles and 8 rails (image attached). When performing the sweep, I end up with a mess. I am coming from FormZ where all splines have to be in the same direction which I suspect is the problem, but have not found a way to align directions or even show them for that matter. Would someone be so kind as to help me arrive at this shape? The file is also attached. If there is a better method to achieve this, I am all ears. Thanks, Kevin

Attachments:
sink02.3dm

Image Attachments:
sink_curves.jpg 

22 Dec 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi kmccall, well the way Sweep works by sliding a profile curve along the rails it is not so good to have very sudden changes in profile shape. You've got that type of thing going on in these areas in particular where there is a sudden bend in the profile:

Then the very next profile bends in a different direction:

It's not so good to have these sudden bends in adjacent profiles, it's going to make the surface strained and messy in those areas.

There is a previous thread here on doing a sink, you might check it out:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=530.1

For your curves here you can get a pretty good result by selecting only these curves and using Construct > Network:

Sweep works more by sliding the profiles along the path curves and it can be less tolerant of things like the rounded corners of your top profile.

Another method that can be good for making something like this is the Loft command with the option for Loft Style = "Loose" set. For that you would make parallel sections something like this:

For that you would make parallel sections like this:

If the areas at the rounded corners are not looking like you want another thing you can try is to not have rounded corners baked into your profile curves, instead have sharp corners there and use filleting or blending to put in the rounded corners after you have constructed a base form.

Rounded corners baked into your starting profiles can tend to impact your surface shape a lot as they try to transition to a different shape.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
sink_loft1.jpg  sink_loft2.jpg  sink_network1.jpg  sink_network2.jpg  sink_sweep1.jpg  sink_sweep2.jpg 

23 Dec 2019   [#3]
Hi Michael. Thanks for the thorough reply and the link. I'll be reading the sink modeling thread today. I appreciate the help. Kevin