MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Features that would make Moi3D next level

11 Nov 2019   [#1]
1) Direct modeling

The ability to push, pull and rotate a selected face would be huge. As demonstrated in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMi_0HXXaTE

2) Unwrap the selected face like a UV

This would make pattern creation with flow an absolute breeze. This is currently somewhat possible by a long workaround involving exporting a face into polygon software and flattening it perfectly there, then importing the plane back in, selecting it's outlines and rebuilding the curve, then filling the plane, but is not ideal for speed and staying "in the zone"

3) The ability to set up a viewport with a custom camera and an image overlayed over it

This would be like a primitive version of camera matching from other 3D softwares, but it doesn't have to be complex like theirs to work well. Camera matching is an extremely useful and severely underrated workflow in almost all 3D communities, and with the right amount of finessing will allow you to match concept art and your own sketches almost 1:1, at a quick pace.

4) Macros

Unlike scripts, a macro just fires off commands in the order that you put them, and requires no scripting knowledge, just writing the command names.

Any thoughts & suggestions on features you would like to see? Also, I have created a discord server exclusively for the Moi3D community: https://discord.gg/zNTasYd

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my portfolio
11 Nov 2019   [#2]
You have some part of videos direct Modeling who can be made in direct modeling with the Extrude function!

And any other can be made with the Elephant (sure not so easily but... :)

Discord is not so flexible and pratical than a forum...and i am not sure that Michael has time to go there!
11 Nov 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
"Discord is not so flexible and pratical than a forum"

I agree...but I think it's also nice to hace a place other than the offical forum, where MoI users can chat and share their WIP.

Message 9574.4 was deleted

18 Nov 2019   [#5] In reply to [#2]
Pilou,

How can I do that?

-Patrick
18 Nov 2019   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Just use Elephant! ;) Thx to Max Smirnov!
English/French http://moiscript.weebly.com/biblio-elephant.html (for install, manual etc...by me )

Nothing difficult...it's the Revolve native function emulated!
I will make it as soon I have taken my diner! :)
So wait a little :)

So something like that...

Frame is the vertical axe X, Y, Z give of course values or 0,0,0 by default
Slider goes 0 to 360 with zero decimal so integer degre - Slider can have a Mini Maxi (you can all regulate)

At the end you obtain a Moi object absolutly normal! :)

this node following that you can reload! ;) http://moiscript.weebly.com/uploads/3/9/3/8/3938813/revolve_emulated.nod

18 Nov 2019   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Thank you! This looks like a fun new world to explore. Might solve a couple of issues for me as well. :)
18 Nov 2019   [#8] In reply to [#6]
Anybody to give me some quick direction here. I just went to rebuild this nod that frenchy shows (Revolve emulated).

I couldn't find how to add the "Output" node. I think I right clicked and went through all the options, but I could have missed it.

I can load the node frenchy links to and it works fine. Maybe I don't have a full node editor install? I haven't been following it well.

Thanks.

[EDIT] Found it. My NodeEditor window was sized down a bit, and the "Output" node, which is the upon start ofg a new project, was sitting, hidden off to the side. [EDIT]

Thanks again.
21 Nov 2019   [#9]
I am not sure if this has been discussed/requested, but on the concept design side, I would love to be able to use a mirror mode, where every move or action would be repeated on the other side of an axis/plane.

This would be gold in my opinion.
21 Nov 2019   [#10] In reply to [#9]
It's not yet the case when you make a mirror ?

Any modification (Add Pts Move... etc) of the original will be reflected to the mirror! ;)
Even you make something else between return to the original!

21 Nov 2019   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Hey Pilou! :D

Yes, mirrored objects can do that. But I would like to be able to boolean sub or draw polylines and have the actions repeated in symmetry without having to mirror each element. It could even be in ghost mode, just projection of the other half of the model or drawing to give you a sense of the whole. Is it dumb?
21 Nov 2019   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Hi nameless, that would definitely be useful. I want to have a deeper history function that could do that but there will be a whole lot of work involved in making that so I'm not sure when it will be able to happen. Maybe something for drawing could be done first before a full on history stack.

- Michael
22 Nov 2019   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Hi Michael! The fact that you have your eyes on it makes me very happy :)

I think that it would untie the hands of many concept artists/illustrators that "think" while drawing. Being able to appreciate the design result of an operation without having to go through the steps of trimming and mirroring will be gold. And MoI has this ability already, to be very close to the intuitive drawing process and simplicity of lines on paper, so it would be a feature in accordance to its philosophy.

Thank you!
8 Dec 2019   [#14]
Personally I dislike Discord I have joined many groups on there and never found them useful mostly because the UI is all over the place I prefer this simple clean forum UI.
Slack is another that I find limiting even worse than Discord as it archives (hides) posts after a small limit is reached unless it is paid for.
At the moment I am on limited Internet connection so appreciate a low overhead site like this one even more.