MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Extend / extrude "tangentially"

Show messages:  1-9  10-22

7 Nov 2019   [#10] In reply to [#5]
>>Hi Tom, yes the Edit > Extend command can be used to extend a curve.<<

Great ! downloading the file and having a look !
7 Nov 2019   [#11] In reply to [#9]
Tangent Helper as above ?

Yes thats cool. Will have a look at both of your kind tips !
7 Nov 2019   [#12] In reply to [#11]
An extrude by a single tangent direction won't be quite right because the tangents are slightly different on each side. That's because the surface is cut at an angle as described above. They're only a little bit different though since the surface is only very slightly bent so it will be hard to tell visually.

But if you want a precise result then doing the untrim will recover a planar ending edge that can be extruded to get an accurate tangent extension.

- Michael
7 Nov 2019   [#13]
Michael, I am using the extend command all the time if I have another curve to extend it.

I thought that you meant that is also possible extend a curve into "empty space",
but this does not work, doesnt it ?
7 Nov 2019   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Hi Pilou, here's an example with a tube that is more tightly bent and cut at a greater angle to show you how there isn't one single tangent direction in a case like this:

When you untrim it then you'll get a natural tube end which does have a single tangent direction.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
pilou_tangent1.jpg  pilou_tangent2.jpg  pilou_tangent3.jpg 

7 Nov 2019   [#15] In reply to [#13]
Hi Tom,

re:
> I thought that you meant that is also possible extend a curve into "empty space",
> but this does not work, doesnt it ?

Empty space does not have to stay empty, you can draw in a temporary boundary object, extend to that and then delete the boundary object.

- Michael
7 Nov 2019   [#16] In reply to [#13]
Hi Tom, also re: Extend command - the boundary object does not have to be a curve it can also be something a sphere or a plane.

- Michael
7 Nov 2019   [#17] In reply to [#14]
When you say "Untrim" in this case of this tube what is untrimed ? Curve? Section ? Surface ? ...
Untrim is "Separate" ?
7 Nov 2019   [#18] In reply to [#17]
Hi Pilou, it's this surface here that would be untrimmed, the same one that wants to get extended:

To untrim it, use Edit > Separate on it first to make it an independent single surface not joined to anything else. Then select all its edges and do a Delete. The trimming boundary will be removed and the full underlying surface will be recovered.

The other end that will not be extended needs to be retrimmed.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
pilou_untrim.jpg 

7 Nov 2019   [#19] In reply to [#18]
OK!
And this
Extrude --> Boundary Sphere ?
7 Nov 2019   [#20] In reply to [#17]
Hi Pilou,

re:
> Boundary Extrude --> Sphere ?

I'm sorry I don't understand this question. The mention of a sphere above was about the Edit > Extend command, not the Extrude command.

- Michael
7 Nov 2019   [#21] In reply to [#20]
Sorry I have read Extrude so now i better understand! :)
7 Nov 2019   [#22]
Empty space does not have to stay empty

:-))

Always amazed by your support - very very helpful tips !

Show messages:  1-9  10-22