MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Mini Dim tutorial

2 Nov 2019   [#1]
With the new Dim native function

For make Diagonal Dim you must use the Cplane
(here materialized by The Yellow face)

More easy to put the tripod x,y,z at the middle of this face

For dynamic Dim just select Object(s) + Dim before Transform! ;)

With these 2 little tricks you can Dim any 3D things! :)

For "Flow" or other Deformations (you can't Separate) the Dims for design purpose till now you must use Dimensions by Max Smirnov! ;)
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7403.133

3 Nov 2019   [#2]
Native Dim
For have nothing at the extremities of Arrows : just make the third Click without move!

3 Nov 2019   [#3]
Hi Pilou,

have you ever seen people using Dimensions in their work that they
would use them diagonally or in a circle, like you show .... ????

Regards
Stefan
3 Nov 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
They phoned me that they would have liked to have this! ;)

More seriously

or normalized mechanical cotation http://jeanlaurent.lenaour.free.fr/cours/TERMINALE%20STI-1/Mecanique/Cour%20cotation.pdf

or all that need legends around, inside circular forms, diagonals...! ;)

etc...
7 Nov 2019   [#5]
__First, I want to add to the point that Stefan made: There are conventions in drafting that must be followed if everyone is to have the same understanding and the man in the shop is to know exactly what the designer intends. There is also the matter of providing information that fits the machines, otherwise the machinist will have to do a bunch of trig to convert what is on the drawing to what the machine requires; e.g. Cartesian vs. polar coordinates.
__Something that isn't quite right is the way that small angles are shown. In the case of an acute angle (e.g. 5-degrees) the number cannot go inside the angle, as it is done with a larger angle. Currently (unless I missed the option) we can only show the obtuse angle, which is not the way it is usually done. To correctly show a small angle requires a different structure, which I guess is something to be added later.
__The problem that I'm having is that the numbers are not tied to the model, but to the screen; that is, when I zoom in or out the size of the number remains the same on the screen, but the dimension lines and the rest of the model get larger or smaller! What am I doing wrong?
7 Nov 2019   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Tim,

> __The problem that I'm having is that the numbers are not tied to the model, but to
> the screen; that is, when I zoom in or out the size of the number remains the same on
> the screen, but the dimension lines and the rest of the model get larger or smaller!
> What am I doing wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong, the initial focus is on having scale independent text that stays the same size on the screen no matter what your zoom level. That's convenient for simple cases because you won't have to fight with scale factors to prevent the text from becoming either super huge or tiny on your final drawing.

I do plan on having a model size dependent mode as well, that's not ready quite yet.

- Michael
8 Nov 2019   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Thank you Michael. I look forward to the other option. This way, in my mind, defies WYSIWYG. If I put dimensions in and sent the file to someone, I don't know what they would see. Likewise, font size seems meaningless. I guess this is a personal problem! Otherwise, the new beta has been working great.