MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Dimensions_Gable Roof Metal

11 Oct 2019   [#1]
There are 28 metal panels to cut for the gable wall of my new shop.
The pitch is 4 inches rise per 12 inches run, called 4:12.
I had just done the calculations, very clumsily by hand, with many errors, so comparison Ft/In values were available.

Doing the Dimension calculations in the new MoI beta provided a good learning experience for this terrific new feature.
There was some learning curve involved, not too long:-)
There was some Options setup done.

Tip, Expand the Details box, to better see all of the great options. Barb arrows and Ft/In display were "hiding" there.

Bug? Selecting Feet/Inches to the Details/Formating: Distance display:/... is not preserved, so must be repeated.
Is there somewhere else to change the default from Decimal, and have it stick?
However, Bulk selection of completed Dimensions allows conversion from Default Decimal to Feet/Inches display.

To add the vertical Dimensions, after appropriate setup, mouse sequence was:
Click Dim/vert button.
Click point on roof slope at top corner of desired metal sheet.
Cover point at bottom corner of metal sheet.
Move mouse pointer over to snapsize previously set to 3", in options/Grid/Snap Size, and Left-Click twice.
To repeat with another dimension, Right Click.

Some kind of script to repeat these actions, by selecting a line segment might be useful.

So I should document my setup...

- Brian

I need a BIGGER font, for clear viewing of printouts:-)

Attachments:
Gable04.pdf

11 Oct 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Brian, that turned out great! It should also be helpful once dimensions export out to PDF format as well but the screenshot looks really good too.

> Bug? Selecting Feet/Inches to the Details/Formating: Distance display:/... is not preserved,
> so must be repeated.
> Is there somewhere else to change the default from Decimal, and have it stick?

It's not exactly a bug, more like a missing feature at the moment. The values that you manipulate in the detailed object properties only change the current object values, not the defaults used for newly created objects. There is not currently a way to set the defaults but that is pretty much the next thing up that I'll be working on.

> Some kind of script to repeat these actions, by selecting a line segment might be useful.

There is a "From object" button that can help with that. When you push it, it will grab the endpoints of the selected curve and use those for the dimension.

You can trigger it as a command line option to the DimVertical command, like this: "DimVertical FromObject". Either set up a shortcut key with that on it or press Tab and type that in and then repeat with the right-click.

Then the sequence would go: Select line, trigger command with FromObject set, click location point.

There is not currently a way with the regular command to automate the location point but I'll see about adding that in.

- Michael
11 Oct 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
:D
Is there, or will there be, some way to increase font size?
- Brian
11 Oct 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Brian, you can increase font size by selecting your dims and going to the "Details..." object properties. There's an entry there for Font: and you can click on the font name to set a new one using whatever size you want.

- Michael
11 Oct 2019   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Thank you Michael.
Font size change was easy. Font size change also works for multiple selections of dimensions.
- Brian