MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Please Help Me with My Occasional Questions

Show messages:  1-13  14-33  34-49

19 Oct 2019   [#34] In reply to [#33]
Normally that must woks for any volumes! :)
19 Oct 2019   [#35] In reply to [#33]
Hi friend, it's very helpful if you could please post the .3dm model file of your objects instead of only a screenshot.

For example in this case I would have been able to test with your objects and that may have helped me notice that you wanted a steeper angle result.

So yes Shell produces lofts that are aligned with the surface normals.

If you wanted to do Loft then a quicker way than doing Loft many times would be to use Edit > Join so you had 2 curves which each were made up of 8 segments. Then you can loft between those 2 joined curves. When there are the same number of segments in each curve that will be the equivalent of doing each loft individually between segments.

Another way that might be useful would be to make a planar tapered extrude and then beam that onto your sphere using projective Flow. Position the base plane for the flow a little ways inside the shape so that when it's projected the top surface doesn't try to skim directly along the sphere surface because that then makes for difficult booleans.

So that would look like this:

Create planar curve:

Extrude tapered:

Create base plane for flow positioned like this:

Flow with "Projective" option:

Boolean difference:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
friend_flow_tapered1.jpg  friend_flow_tapered2.jpg  friend_flow_tapered3.jpg  friend_flow_tapered4.jpg  friend_flow_tapered5.jpg 

19 Oct 2019   [#36]
A volume with different curves

Diff the part to taper

here I kill the Top / Bottom faces + one face of the no Tapered part (not indispensable - its just for see the internal volume :)
Separate
Show Points for easy selection of points who will "scaled"
Scale 1D on the Height by a middle
Scale 1D on the Width by a middle

NetWork Top / Bottom
Join All
= I have a Solid

Follow 2 "tapered" from different start face

19 Oct 2019   [#37]
;)

20 Oct 2019   [#38]
Taper any single surface is like some trivial ;)
Must exist tone of methods...

20 Oct 2019   [#39]
Free to you to put Shell or not...

20 Oct 2019   [#40]
Michael, thanks. Both of those solutions work excellently. Excuse me for not uploading a scene- I assumed that really simple things were easy enough to recreate.

If you scale an uneven curve a "flat" message will appear letting you know it is planar and can be used for Boolean and Trim but is there a way to flatten at an angle? I have a wavy surface, created a curve on it using surface snap but Trim and Boolean don't work. If I scale on an axis it will ruin the shape- I need it to flatten at an angle. Scene included.

Frenchy, I think I have recreated your gif but I can't get Network to work like you have.

Attachments:
network.3dm
scale until flat.3dm

Image Attachments:
moihelp 39.PNG  moihelp 40.PNG  moihelp 41.PNG 

20 Oct 2019   [#41] In reply to [#40]
Moi is very permissive but it's better to have points at the same coordinates! ;)

20 Oct 2019   [#42] In reply to [#40]
Maybe it's not that you want so don't hesitate to explicite more !:)

Extrude + Trim must make the trick...

I don't seen that you want flat thing...but if it's just for trim Extrude is sufficient
You can of course take a direction of the Extrude if you want...

You can also make Projection by your curve but the extrude is more illustrative and generally
it's better to make trim or Boolean Diff with surfaces than only curves in complex forms... :)

Ps when you send a file of objects better to put them on the middle of the grid than faraway on the 3D Space! :)
20 Oct 2019   [#43] In reply to [#40]
Maybe set a cPlane?
- Brian
20 Oct 2019   [#44] In reply to [#40]
Hi friend,

re:
> If you scale an uneven curve a "flat" message will appear letting you know it is planar and can be
> used for Boolean and Trim but is there a way to flatten at an angle? I have a wavy surface, created
> a curve on it using surface snap but Trim and Boolean don't work. If I scale on an axis it will ruin
> the shape- I need it to flatten at an angle. Scene included.

There are a few different methods - probably the quickest is to use Transform > Scale > Scale1D. That allows you to choose the direction of scaling so if you pick a direction perpendicular to your desired line in the side view then enter a scale factor of 0 that will do it.

If you want to use the edit frame and "flat" snap you could do that by setting the CPlane to your desired angle.

Also you could rotate your objects so the direction you want is aligned with the world axis directions then use flat snap.

- Michael
20 Oct 2019   [#45]
Or that ? ...
After the trim
Extrude again
Draw a plane by 3 Points
Move it
Boolean Isect
et voilĂ  :)
But don't know if it's that you want! :)

11 Nov 2019   [#46]
Thanks for all the help.

Is there any way to change the top-right view during split view to be Front and have the bottom-right be 3D?
11 Nov 2019   [#47] In reply to [#46]
Hi friend,

re:
> Is there any way to change the top-right view during split view
> to be Front and have the bottom-right be 3D?

Sorry no there isn't.

- Michael
12 Nov 2019   [#48]
Hello, is there a way to limit what snapping affects or disable an object from being snapped to? Locked objects can still be snapped to...
12 Nov 2019   [#49] In reply to [#48]
Hi friend, there's an option to control snapping to locked objects under Options > Snaps > Object snap options > "Snap to locked objects".

Also you can disable different kinds of snaps by using the menu that pops out above the Object Snap button.

- Michael

Show messages:  1-13  14-33  34-49