MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Efficient (not bulky) draughting softwares...

7 Oct 2019   [#1]
Hi all,

Currently I'm running a rather cumbersome draughting workflow that looks something like MoI > SketchUp (if any instancing needed and/prep for DWG export/exporting to Octane) > Revit for drawing production. I'm stuck to the Revit workflow as was coming from an Autodesk (-gross-) Architectural background. Now working in a film art Dept. where speed and more of an 'Arty' feel is the aim, rather than clunky parametrics...

Wondering if anyone knew of some more elegant draughting solutions (given that workflow) than the monster that is Revit (or any other Autodesk product to be fair)!

Thanks all!

- Rich
7 Oct 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Why not try the fabulous free Twinmotion ? :) https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/twinmotion
It has Revit, ArchiCad, SketchUp synchronism! :) (with free Plugins)

And from Moi you can use the OBJ format!

With a Moi object in 10 seconds all complet! Just the time to Drag & Drop anything!
Real Time...grab Screen so final result will be of course even better!

7 Oct 2019   [#3]
Hi Rich,

Could you show an example of what kind of drawing you want to do ?
Is it a cad drawing with annotations, annotations on a rendered image ?

Marc
7 Oct 2019   [#4]

7 Oct 2019   [#5] In reply to [#1]
Hi Rich, yeah an example of the type of output you're trying to make would be helpful for making a suggestion.

The next MoI v4 beta release will have the first appearance of some simple annotation/dimensioning tools directly inside MoI. Depending on what you're trying to do it's possible those may do the job although maybe not quite yet in this very first round.

Here's what I got going just last night:

- Michael
7 Oct 2019   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Michael,

Are the dimensions anchored to the object and if the box size changes in edit, will the dimension size follow the size change?

Wayne
7 Oct 2019   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Wayne, sorry no the dimensions are not linked to the object. But you could do something like select both the object and the dimensions as well and transform them all together.

Someday I'd like to work on constraints and "driving dimensions" where you could edit a dimension and have shapes update from that edit, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

The main focus of the new stuff is just simple annotation.

- Michael
8 Oct 2019   [#8]
Hey all,

So it's a bit difficult as I'm thoroughly under NDA but they are draughted build drawings (dimensioned cad drawings) similar to architectural drawings with lineweights, hatches etc.

- Rich
8 Oct 2019   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Rich, so probably Rhino or ViaCAD would be good to look at for that.

Or possibly a 2D only drafting program like DraftSight, QCAD or others?

- Michael
8 Oct 2019   [#10]
Not really the same as a cad prog but more funny for the client! :)
I suppose that he must have also TwinMotion for this function! (i must test that)
edit : tested seems client can't measures in the Bim File created like following (visible without Twinmotion)
but if you have measured something that will be visible ! ;) (better than nothing)

(don't forget to load this free TwinMotion 2019 gift before end october! ;) (can be used commercially)

8 Oct 2019   [#11] In reply to [#9]
Yeah definitely Michael - my primary aim is to get rid of some of the bloat that goes along with something like Revit - I would really only need the soft for drafting. Rhino is a good call as used so prevalently in this industry it seems but I wouldn't personally use it for drafting probably - DraftSight looks promising!

- Rich
8 Oct 2019   [#12]
A free one will be Double Cad https://www.turbocad.com/content/doublecad-xt-v5
or Nanocad free https://nanocad.com/products/nanoCAD/download/
8 Oct 2019   [#13] In reply to [#5]
Micheal, dimensions looks damn good !

Rich ::
Depending on how in a hurry you are, I would just wait for Michael's implementation.
I have a feeling it will be the simplest option for that kind of job.

Keeping revit for the moment would save the time/frustration involved in learning and using another software.

Marc
8 Oct 2019   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Hi Rich, you can try Ironcad Draft, https://www.ironcad.com/design-collaboration-suite/ironcad-draft/ Works well with Moi3d. You can directely open your moi file (step or iges) in the software and all operations are available.
moujiik
9 Oct 2019   [#15]
Cheers all.

Anyone know any decent drafting softs that accept a tablet?

- Rich
9 Oct 2019   [#16] In reply to [#15]
If you have even a "low tablet" with not many hard memory you can use something like https://www.realvnc.com/
and like this run any programs on your tablett! ;)
It's truely amazing to run Moi3D like this!
You can also put an OTG connector for put a mouse 3 button + wheel on your Tablet ;)
(exists of course all made! ) 2$