MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Variable Fillet Issue

30 Sep 2019   [#1]
Just following Chip Walter’s tutorial for Variable Fillets. When I try to make the fillets I either get failed calculations or it will work ( .05 radius ) but will break everything else.
I’m sure I’ve missed something obvious ( had a little break from MOI recently )
I’ve added 2 files, one before the boolean & other ready to go with the problem.
Here’s a link to the vid.
Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9C9Ydki75E

Attachments:
Chip W Fail_1.3dm
Chip W Fail_Before boolean.3dm

30 Sep 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi flippyfloop, actually a juncture like you've got here is quite difficult for the fillet engine to handle:

I'm not sure why it was working ok for Chipp, maybe he was just lucky.

I'd probably try doing it with regular non-variable radius fillet but in 2 passes, first do this one:

Then this one:

Most of the time it's not so good to do filleting in multiple passes where the fillets run into each other but in this particular case it helps things because it makes the filleter avoid trying to build a juncture patch at that pointy tip area.

The thing that's difficult about that kind of pointy shape in one pass is it wants with normal fillets to make things like this:

Then it wants to make a smooth connection between those pieces but they're going at an opposite 180 degree direction from each other and it's an awkward situation to try and put in a connector patch.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
flippyfloop_fillet1.jpg  flippyfloop_fillet2.jpg  flippyfloop_fillet3.jpg  flippyfloop_fillet4.jpg  flippyfloop_fillet5.jpg  flippyfloop_fillet6.jpg 

1 Oct 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thanks Michael. I'll try this. Much appreciated.
1 Oct 2019   [#4]
Why it's working on the video? ;)
Because there is previously a fillet at the start of the internal volume! ;)
There is a minimal thickness! It's not a real Sharp angle!

4 Jan 2020   [#5]

4 Jan 2020   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Awesome Pilou!

Flippy, try using G3 with ~1 bulge for your case. It seems to work better. I gave it a shot at the tut from the start, and it worked for me. Sometimes when there are corner points next to each other, things get tricky, but spending time with MoI will give you a feel for what could work better and which point is problematic. Good luck!