MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Rhino 6.0 support

30 Sep 2019   [#1]
I think I asked that before, but couldn't find the threat anymore.

Will there be a Rhino 6.0 support?

Currently I get empty files when trying to open .3dms saved in Rhino 6.0. Also Blocks, Groups and Instances vanish.
Personally I would love to see especially instances supported, one of the reasons I prefer Solidworks over Moi3d in some cases. (Step files format support that, but not in Moi).
Think of having a bus seat and all seats are instances. Why easier to do changes.
30 Sep 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Robert, right now I don't have any immediate plans for supporting Rhino v6 .3dm files. It might be possible in the future, but there seems to have been a lot of changes in the OpenNURBS toolkit for version 6 and so there could be a fair amount of work involved in supporting Rhino v6.

Blocks/instances are something that are high on my radar though for MoI although they won't be done for MoI v4.

For now to export from Rhino v6 to MoI you need to choose the Rhino v5 format .3dm when you do a "Save As" out from Rhino.

- Michael
1 Oct 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
What about copy-paste between both apps? Does it work with Rhino 6 or only below?
1 Oct 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Bartosh, I think copy/paste works with Rhino v6 ok and it can read MoI files ok too, just if you create a new file in Rhino v6 you need to save it in v5 format to be able to open it with MoI.

- Michael
1 Oct 2019   [#5]
This thread is reading my mind. Just downloaded Rhino 6 so I could use grasshopper and paneling tools and i was wondering WTF when I tried to open R6 files in MOI. This saved me alot of anguish, THANK YOU.

Incidentally, as I'm relearning Rhino I am reminded how elegant and well thought the MOI experience is. The Rhino tutorials literally brag about how many different ways commands can be executed while I just shake my head at how much the unnecessarily bloated interface offends me. LOL.

Thank you Michael. Really, I appreciate everything you've done with MOI
16 Oct 2019   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Thanks.. told my client to send me step instead of Rhino 6.0 files.. however it didn't went well and I had to upgrade Rhino.
I fully understand, I really hate the Rhino format sometimes, or what Rhino does there. If only they switch to step file format only :-)
16 Oct 2019   [#7] In reply to [#5]
I'll put in a warning message if you try to open a Rhino v6 file, that way it won't be as mysterious.

- Michael