MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Am I missing something? - how to break point into two

24 Sep 2019   [#1]
Sorry But I think Im missing something
I've been trying everything to break this rectangular but no luck! How to break/disconnect one point to create two separate points? Is Trim tool bugged? Or there is another way how to do that? Thank you for any help! :D

Image Attachments:
point.gif 

24 Sep 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi vasqes, you would need to use Edit > Separate to disconnect those pieces.

The Trim command is oriented towards cutting a curve into different curve chunks, not really on inserting a single point into a curve. Trim needs at least 2 points in order to cut a closed curve into separate pieces, just one point does not divide a closed curve into multiple pieces.

So you could use Trim though if you place down 2 points a little apart from each other to make an opening.

Many CAD commands work a little differently than 2D vector editing - many CAD commands are more oriented on the shape of the curve as if it was a piece of material and not so much focused on the control point / node structure, if that helps any.

So like with Trim, the job of Trim is to cut one piece of material into separate pieces, exactly maintaining existing shapes. Imagine if you have a circle, how do you cut a perfect circle into multiple pieces with just one point? You can't - that's why Trim needs at least 2 points on a closed curve to cut it.

- Michael
25 Sep 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Micheal thanks for your reply.

So As I understand correctly, it's not possible. I mean to do that fast.
I need to disconnect circle into 2 pieces- move one vertex a bit (offset) - join those two pieces again and move that vertex back again? Is a bit complicated hah and hmm “strange”.

I need something like that to create few hundreds of them :) lol - with a different points :)

Image Attachments:
Clipboard01.png 

25 Sep 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Have you an image of what do you want exactly ?
Because there are in general many strategy for make something! :)

There maybe you can select one pt / two and use the Edit Frame for move them to the middle...

or use the Circlar Array for multiply a module

etc...
even use ELEPHANT depending of what do you want exactly :)

25 Sep 2019   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Hi vasqes, if you need to do so many it would probably make sense to not create a whole bunch of regular circles for your starting point, instead make your starting point be 2 separate arc curves one for each half of the circle. Then you can edit points on them as you want and join the 2 halves in a last step.

If that doesn't help then maybe you'll need to explain what you're doing in more detail.

- Michael
27 Sep 2019   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Thanks for help. OK.

But still I don't understand why this approach is so "old-school" and I don't get "because always was like that" approach :D. As we are progressing in terms of technology I think that CAD software should learn a bit from Illustration software solutions like Affinity, Sketch end so on.

Thanks for help :) I will do that with two arcs.
Cheers
27 Sep 2019   [#7] In reply to [#4]
YO! thanks for help! No, I just need a faster way to disconnect point into two. Sounds easy but as I learnt is not that obvi :)
Thanks! for your time!
27 Sep 2019   [#8] In reply to [#6]
Hi vasqes, it's not so much that it's just "that's the way it's always been done", it's an overall difference in priorities. In a CAD program the priority is on making accurate shapes and trying to avoid stuff that mutates shapes.

The Trim command in MoI will cut a curve and the remaining pieces have completely 100% the exact same shape as before. It's more about treating the curve as a piece of material and not focused on being a "node management" type thing like it would be in an 2D illustration program.

I do want to try and incorporate more 2D vector editing like behavior into MoI in the future though. The difference in overall focus can make that kind of difficult in many cases though.

- Michael