MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Fillets again

Show messages: All  1-8  9-10

24 Sep 2019   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Michael,

I just made changes to the file to get it to fillet. I can work on it some more so there is a solid prior to filleting. I don't want to hijack this thread though. I'll create a different thread. I was just trying to share what I have learned with doing the same thing the original poster is trying to do. For me, it's been hit and miss with Rhino 5. This is one of the main reasons I want to switch to MoI. I haven't used MoI since the v2 trial. I went with Rhino because it had some features I needed that MoI didn't have. But it looks like MoI v4 will have those features, so I'm looking forward to switching.

I think what goes on is that, for a given geometry, there is an unknown max radius for the rolling ball fillet. So you end up having to manually iterate. It would be very helpful if there was at least some feedback saying that a good fillet can't be created for the specified radius. Instead, Rhino just puts in a bad fillet and corrupts the solid. Ideally, it would be great if the software told you what the max fillet radius is. That would solve the problem completely. Also, if you know why having a seam in the area you want to fillet is a problem, I'd love to know.
1 Oct 2019   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Hello Michael and Anthony

Thanks for your help with the spinner prop project, I have got a result that I think I can forward to tool production with.

I used a blended surface, I trimmed a cut out in the cone to 0.75mm bigger than where the blade joined and then trimmed the blade out by 0.75mm and then blended between the two.

I can see that my modelling skills need refining somewhat going forwards.

Best Regards

Barrie

Image Attachments:
fillet.jpg  fillet_trailing_edge.jpg 

Show messages: All  1-8  9-10