MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Curves Modo<->MoI

Show messages: All  1-11  12-15

9 Sep 2019   [#12] In reply to [#11]
1) Those files was export of Curves (not 2-vertex polylines) but with polylines OBJ looks same.
2) Single line without polygon is a polyline. Polyline with two vertices is exported as pure vertices without edges.
3) I`ve thought about vertex ID but if you will edit a curve then a vertex order will be broken so it`s not a solution

I wanted to do in that way becouse I do retopo on the surface of big 3d scan data. I`ve thought that I could do curve retopo in Modo and next build patches in MoI.

Thanks Michael for that Subd feature. It`s fantastic and it`s super feature. Only for that one feature it`s worth to buy your wonderfull software.

As I wrote before I solved my way to import curves from Modo to MoI as polygon strips. Maybe it`s not 100% accurate but I think it`s good enough.

I would like to ask about second way (MoI->Modo). Why obj export can`t export MoI curve without surface as f.e. polyline? Of course I can do same trick in other way. Build surface only to cheat exporter and remove it in Modo to have polylines which can be coverted to curves.

Edit: I`m not super specific becouse I have my Modo based workflow and with that thread I`m trying to do research of potential possible changes in my current workflow.

Cheers!!!!
9 Sep 2019   [#13] In reply to [#10]
Thanks for youe example. It was only example with those lines. I need Modo for retopo over 3d scans (5-10million polys). I`ve thought to import main features lines as curves to MoI but I can do this as subd polygon strips.
9 Sep 2019   [#14] In reply to [#12]
Hi Bartosh,

re:
> I would like to ask about second way (MoI->Modo). Why obj export can`t export MoI curve without surface
> as f.e. polyline?

Well, because it would be weird to do that, it's not supported by any programs to interpret an n-gon in an .obj file as if it was a curve.

> Of course I can do same trick in other way. Build surface only to cheat exporter and remove
> it in Modo to have polylines which can be coverted to curves

But this conversion doesn't work properly if I understand correctly. You're making a Catmull-Rom curve in Modo, the shape of the curve will be different than what it originally looked like in MoI.

Just taking the control points of a NURBS curve in MoI and then using those as the control points of a Catmull-Rom spline in Modo is not going to make the same curve shape.

Since Modo does not have a NURBS curve type in it, I don't really see how it's going to work to transfer a curve over to it without potentially weird mutations in shapes.

- Michael
10 Sep 2019   [#15] In reply to [#14]
Thanks, Michael for your effort to explain this differences with curve shape. I think I understood it.

Show messages: All  1-11  12-15