MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Moi3D for 3D Printing? (Compared to others?)

Show messages: All  1-9  10-11

6 Sep 2019   [#10]
MoI3D is perfectly matched for 3D printing-- here's why.

It's always good to understand a few things about 3D print files and the software used to create them.

Many of the modelers out there, including Blender, Modo, 3D Max, SketchUp, Maya and others are "surface modelers."

This makes it easy to model shapes and objects which are not "manifold" -- which means 'water tight.' The idea being if an object is manifold, and you pour water into it, no water will leak out.

Many surface modelers have features which will check for manifold, but it's super easy to have crossed polygons, missing sliver faces, double vertices, inside surfaces etc, which can be very hard to fix in surface models.

Another type of modelers are "solids modelers." These are typically expensive CAD applications which have a built-in geometric understanding of what is "solid"-- and solid is always manifold. The biggest issue with these programs is the complexity of interface and cost to use.

MoI3D is a "solids modeler." And, it's most affordable and very easy to learn as well. In fact, 3D printing was the primary reason I started using MoI3D in the first place... years ago.

One other thing i should mention. In order to 3D print your model, it needs to be converted to polygons, (which interestingly are surface representations). MoI3D has the best remesher I've ever seen in a solid modeler, and that includes the very expensive ones. In fact, I advise corporate CAD users to purchase MoI3D for this feature alone. They can export from their CAD program into MoI3D and then export the polygon mesh.

Why is this important? Because converting from solids to polygons can be tricky at times. MoI3D has a great WYSIWYG interface that previews the mesh density *before* exporting.

So, that's a long way of saying, YES. MoI3D should be your first choice for creating models for 3D printing.
6 Sep 2019   [#11] In reply to [#10]
MOI is where I start anymore. Very versatile.

I also use Viacad Pro and Powerpack Modelling

Imports .3dm exports iges step stl obj and more.

Give Slic3r a go.

Show messages: All  1-9  10-11