MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: separate surfaces on export

29 Aug 2019   [#1]
Hi
When exporting IGS\STp files to OBJ, i keep getting separate surfaces. it is one model, but polygons are not connected.
tried all kind of export settings but no good.
Is there a way to get connected points throght different surfaces of the model?

Using version 2.5

Hope it's clear..

Thanks

G

Image Attachments:
MOI3D.JPG 

29 Aug 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Gilbert, that will happen at areas where the surfaces do not have a joined edge in between them.

The mesher does additional work for joined edges to ensure that cracks like that do not happen.

If you run the "Select naked edges" script as described here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6051.2
that should show you edges in the model that only belong to one surface instead of being joined between 2 surfaces like you want.

IGS files are frequently set up to have individual surfaces in them that will then need to be joined together, there is an option in MoI under Options > Import/Export > IGES options > "Join surfaces on import" that will try to automatically join them during the import but this can fail if you have multiple touching parts stored in the same one file without them being on separate IGES "levels" (a level is the IGES equivalent of a layer basically).

For STP import usually those are stored as a joined object but you can get naked edges in those too if there was some problem with the import like if the object has degenerate surfaces in it or edges that do not meet at a good enough tolerance level.

Also MoI version 2.5 is quite old now, there has been a lot of improvements in the importers since then. If you can send the files to me at moi@moi3d.com I can take a look if the current v4 importers handle your particular cases any better.

- Michael
29 Aug 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael

Thanks for your answer
tried that command in the import, but no good.
Sending you a part of the model.

I'm aware of the old version, but i only use it for exporting clients models to C4D, therfore if the new version can handle those issues, i'll defenitely consider it :)

Cheers

Gilbert
29 Aug 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Gilbert, thanks for sending it. The problem looks like poorly formed model geometry with some big gaps in some areas and overshooting/crossing surfaces in other areas. It's the kind of stuff that can happen if a half piece is built that is not entirely all aligned on one side and then mirrored.

You might try getting a STP file instead of IGS since the STP file should probably contain joining information in it and that may give a more coherent model to work with. It's quite difficult for an automatic joining process to deal with gaps, overlaps and internal slivery planes like your model has.

The other thing you could try is to import with IGES joining turned off and then select some smaller chunks at a time and use Edit > Join on them. That's assuming that other areas of the model match up better than the centerline gapped/overshoot areas though.

- Michael