MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Visual stack move in front

Show messages: All  1  2-13

22 Aug 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Marc, so at first I was thinking you meant something that would just change the display of an object only so it drew over top of another object. So I was thinking of that for a little bit.

But now that I read your message again I think you mean moving the object like Transform > Move is that correct?

Would it be for moving curves only?

Maybe if you select both the curve and another surface or solid it could move the curve above that other object or if you selected just curves it would move it above everything?

- Michael
22 Aug 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael,

""""""""" I think you mean moving the object like Transform > Move """"""""

Yes, this is what I had in mind.

""""""""" if you selected just curves it would move it above everything """""""""

Yes, like that. Maybe this would be useful for other kind of objects but I can't think of anything right now.

Thanks,

Marc
22 Aug 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Marc, I think it should be feasible to do a plug-in for that. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Maybe a similar thing would be to have a kind of temporary construction plane move so when triggered it would move the construction plane above the selected object or all objects with projection turned on so that when you draw something it would go in that "floating above" layer from the start? Then maybe it would automatically reset after you had drawn anything...

- Michael
22 Aug 2019   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Hi Marc, also here's what the detailed object properties looks like at the moment:

This was basically a prerequisite for dimensions since there are going to be a quite a lot of properties on dimensions to tweak. But since it would be weird if only dimensions had stuff there I'm getting stuff for other objects filled in there too now.

Just yesterday got the type tallies working pretty well and today I was thinking it could work well to be able to click on any of those labels to filter selection down to those.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
detailed_properties1.jpg  detailed_properties2.jpg 

23 Aug 2019   [#6] In reply to [#5]
"Open" are like "Naked" ?
23 Aug 2019   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Pilou, well for curves open means the curve has a start and end point that do not touch each other. For surfaces yes open means it has naked edges in it unlike a closed solid.

That also reminds me that I want to add a total count of edges of solids/joined surfaces/surfaces in there as well.

- Michael
23 Aug 2019   [#8] In reply to [#5]
Hi Michael,

The idea for the temporary plane is very good, but I often realize after the fact that a cut won't work.
I don't know if a tick box in the boolean operation like "project curves outside" would make some sense or would just be confusing. It could only appear when curves are involved in the party.

The filter idea in the detail properties is very interesting.
Maybe objects could highlight as you hover their name (red?), with a little dot like the other panels.

Weren't the advanced properties planned for v5?

Marc
23 Aug 2019   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Marc,

> The idea for the temporary plane is very good, but I often realize after the fact that a cut
> won't work.
> I don't know if a tick box in the boolean operation like "project curves outside" would make some sense or
> would just be confusing. It could only appear when curves are involved in the party.

I would like to have some more options for curve cuts. The next time you happen to run into this could you please save it off and send me the .3dm file? It would be useful to have some examples.

> Maybe objects could highlight as you hover their name (red?), with a little dot like the other panels.

Maybe... But I kind of worry about having too many different colors used for feedback.

> Weren't the advanced properties planned for v5?

Yeah but having the detailed properties dialog has turned into a prerequisite for dimensions since there are a quite a lot of them.

It's kind of like when you pull on a thread and get a whole lot more stuff than you expected.

- Michael
24 Aug 2019   [#10] In reply to [#4]
sounds great!
24 Aug 2019   [#11] In reply to [#9]
Hi Michael,

Ok, I will send you files when the same situation appears.

""""""""""It's kind of like when you pull on a thread and get a whole lot more stuff than you expected.""""""""""

Stop pulling ! ;)

Marc
25 Aug 2019   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Hi Marc, I've attached a try at a move in front command. Does this do what you were originally thinking?

> Stop pulling ! ;)

but but but just one little pull, it's hard to resist! :)

- Michael

Attachments:
MoveInFront.js

25 Aug 2019   [#13]
Hi Michael,

Jes, that's exactly what I was thinking at the start, thanks!

Marc

Show messages: All  1  2-13