MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Change the "sticky" selection mode?

7 Aug 2019   [#1]
Been evaluating MOI (Mac) and see many bugs and issues, but the most whacked is this "sticky" selection thing - instead of the industry standard of shift-select MOI does the opposite ~
Is there a way to turn that off?
7 Aug 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi kahuna, there is an option for that in the current v4 beta here:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
multiple_selection_option.jpg 

8 Aug 2019   [#3] In reply to [#1]
MoI's implementation is a much better way of doing it. Just start using it and you'll see why Michael did it this way.

That is what makes it so cool: No gazillion drop downs to navigate, or dozens of key-combos / multi-button presses to use it.
Much more ergonomic and efficient.

Plus, only a few buttons to ever memorize. You can always click on an empty space to deselect, use invert, use shift, drag a window (left-right, right to left are different) and so on. Pure effort saving implementation for ease of speedy use and modeling. Especially if ones uses a tablet.
21 Aug 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Exactly! I like this way as well... MoI = free way from creativity to the real product.
22 Aug 2019   [#5]
Good there will be a option to change the feature -
I've been working with CAD since it was practically in existence and worked with all the major apps and then some - I am currently evaluating apps for a small fast growing firm, and I also train and will have to train operators - The sticky thing is counter productive as the changing of standard keyboard commands or in MOI's case a serious lack of standard MAC commands - MOI has a great concept, but counter to all sustainable CAD and OS standards, there's a point when something exceeds innovation and steps over the practicability line into chaos - there are so many bugs (at least on Mac) and counter industry standard productive aspects, it is way far from meeting the current price tag, if all these bugs and features were corrected, wow, has great promise - I'd say right now it's more reasonably priced at $20 ~ good luck, but we shall be moving on ~
22 Aug 2019   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi kahuna, sorry that MoI isn't suitable for you - really the whole founding idea behind MoI is to do something different from other CAD programs. If you need something that's a carbon copy of other CAD programs you should indeed look elsewhere.

> I'd say right now it's more reasonably priced at $20

Made me chuckle out loud! Actually most of the feedback I've received is surprise that the price is so low.

I've known for a long time that MoI is not the right tool for everyone and that's fine.

- Michael
30 Aug 2019   [#7] In reply to [#6]
That guy just seems to be a cheap troll...

MoI is the best thing since sliced bread, don't let ignorami put it down. Your work is excellent and it is exactly the ergonomics that make it such a great tool.

Keep up the good work Michael. The guy just made it harder for the 'new' company to get work done fast by not selecting MoI. (if his representations are even true)
Regarding the many bugs: Maybe it is his computer that is screwed up, or could be he runs a pirated copy that isn't cracked right ;-)
'Cause I certainly don't have ANY issues with "bugs".
31 Aug 2019   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Death, well it's definitely true that MoI doesn't try to do things in the same way as established CAD apps. But that's ok - MoI is not really intended to be some kind of drop-in replacement for other software. It's meant to help people who don't particularly fit well with traditional CAD.

So for someone with a heavy background in traditional CAD it can seem weird. But it all depends on the specifics of what someone is doing, there are people with extensive CAD backgrounds that do like MoI's different approach because the focus on being streamlined and easy to learn and use also brings a really fast and fluid feel for drawing. That can be an important quality for some people.

The buggy feeling is probably due to the "Wineskin" mechanism that MoI v2 and v3 use for the Mac version. There are lots of little glitches with it but those have been solved in v4 since I've undertaken a major rewrite in v4 to quit using Wineskin and have a native compiled Mac build instead.

Right now with v4 not being released quite yet the current trial version is of v3 and so someone testing the current available Mac trial version is still going to see all the weird Wineskin limitations. That's only a temporary problem though, once v4 is finalized then the trial version for testing on Mac will be greatly improved.

- Michael
1 Sep 2019   [#9] In reply to [#6]
I love YOU and MOI! lol

moi is a "POWER TOOL BOX"