MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Revolve command [Wish]

Show messages: All  1-11  12-13

11 Aug 2019   [#12]
@Death:
you misunderstood my intentions. No ill will on my behalf :). And I don't want MoI to be something else - quite the contrary. I'm trying to think about MoI strengths and how they could be improved. For me MoI is awesome as an easy to use NURBS app, that works great for sketching out 3d designs and concepting (among other things).
But such uses IMO need to give the user some sort of visual feedback, so the better design decisions can be made. And some (mind - some) commands like revolve IMO do not do that (especially when you compare with other apps that fall into this category).

@Michael:
from what I remember Maciej Kuciara wasn't looking for Zbrush either. He specifically switched from sculpting apps and poly modelers to solve issues that are tricky in those. He found out that CAD apps are much better for some of the designs he often works on.
I found the same thing - that's why in my workshop I and my co workers, we're using multiple apps and try to play their strengths. Just so we can chew through projects faster (sculpting apps for organic shapes with local micro detail, cad for hard surface, poly/subd for things that fall in between - and one of the reasons I'm investigating MoI as it is nurbs app that can work under Linux quite well).

I understand that designing a consistent UI is a tricky thing. Maybe adding the extra button in the first stage, a one that would start "interactive" mode would be solution? It would make revolve work identically for those that want to do 360 revolve and are used to it, but would also give the option for those that need that extra visual feedback (especially if there would be a way to tweak the tool file to make it default option ;) ).
11 Aug 2019   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Hi Przemas, well for the consistency issue sorry I wasn't clearer - I meant that it's actually the current command that isn't really consistent with how others work, it would probably be better for consistency to add a stage where you could either type in an angle value or use the mouse to do it interactively.

- Michael

Show messages: All  1-11  12-13