MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: QuadRemesher auto-retopologizer released

26 Jul 2019   [#1]
The developer of ZBrush ZRemesher, UV Master and Decimation Master has released his new auto-retopology tool QuadRemesher. It looks quite promising:

https://exoside.com/quadremesher/

MoI users could choose to buy the soon-to-be-released Blender add-on, unless you already own 3ds Max, Maya or Modo. A Houdini version will also be available.

Regards,

Metin

Freelance visualizer • illustrator • animator • 3D designer — metinseven.nl
26 Jul 2019   [#2]
A challenger of the free Instant Meshes! ;)
26 Jul 2019   [#3]
Pilou, what do you mean with challenge and for whom?

InstantMeshes is IMHO only o PoC, nothing more.

Regards
Stefan
26 Jul 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
So a little challenger :)
26 Jul 2019   [#5]
If you mean that InstantMeshes is a challenger, I would not
compare apples with oranges. :-)

Regards
Stefan
27 Jul 2019   [#6]
I'm really curious about the Houdini version. I see you can drive the topology alignment (loop control) based on normal crease / edge angle / material. Maybe it's possible to trick the plugin and force the alignment on nurbs seams from MoI.

I never manage to get anything but broken geometry from Instant Meshes either :(
27 Jul 2019   [#7]
So not a challenger - not the same price too... :)
maybe sufficient for transform files for Moi...
30 Jul 2019   [#8] In reply to [#1]
The models shown in the remeshing examples are pretty simple models. Also, I would have wanted a standalone version as I only do CAD modelling.
8 Oct 2019   [#9]
Quad Remesher has been released for Blender!

I've beta-tested it the past months, for Maxime Rouca, the French developer, and it's the best auto-retopologizer on the market at the moment, based on ZBrush ZRemesher, from the same developer.

Link to the Quad Remesher info pages:
https://exoside.com/quadremesher/

More info about the Blender version in this thread at the Blender Artists forum:
https://blenderartists.org/t/quadremesher-auto-retopologizer-now-available-for-blender/1170913

Regards,

Metin
8 Oct 2019   [#10] In reply to [#9]
But not free for Blender! ;)
8 Oct 2019   [#11] In reply to [#10]
:-) Not everything can be free. If the price is reasonable and the tool saves you a lot of work, then it is a good thing to support the developer(s) and keep him (or them) going.

After all, MoI is also not free, but we all don't mind at all to spend our money on such an elegant tool and support its dedicated developer. :-)

Regards,

Metin
18 Oct 2019   [#12]
I did purchase Quad Remesher, and while it's pricey it's the PERFECT tool for MoI users wishing to move their meshes into a surface modeler like Blender, Modo, etc..

It really is magically easy to use and does a super job.

For instance, I used KIT OPS (a kitbashing tool for Blender) to create a booleaned crazy shape:

And then used Quad Remesher with ONE BUTTON to create:

Also, another interesting study-- I used metaballs to create the organic shape below. We all know the terrible topology metaballs create. But, using Quad Remesher, I was able to quickly create a shape I could then further modify. This thing is great and should be part of anyone wanting to move models out of MoI to a surface modeler.

19 Oct 2019   [#13]
Seems it's working only as plugin for
– 3ds Max
– Maya
– Modo
– Blender
?
20 Oct 2019   [#14]
Hi Chipp,

Looks very nice! Thanks for sharing. I can see that it retained the hard edges very well.
21 Oct 2019   [#15]
What about QuadriFlow?

-s
27 Oct 2019   [#16] In reply to [#15]
QuadriFlow: Not so good for hard surfaces, but OK for organic and soft surface models.

https://twitter.com/chippwalters/status/1186804597899321347?s=20
6 Nov 2019   [#17]
Can anyone who has both Zbrush and this plugin confirm if this works better than the Zbrush ZRemesher? Is it worth getting this if you already own Zbrush?
7 Nov 2019   [#18] In reply to [#17]
Hi friend,

I tested a while ago the Blender version and compared to ZBrush it gave me no better
results, instead it showed in some small areas the same erros.

Even it it would make better results I would personally not buy it, because I am
usually mostly satisfied with ZBrush's results.

Regards
Stefan
7 Nov 2019   [#19] In reply to [#18]
Also Queadremesher was made by the same person who made ZRemesher.