MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: chamfer difficulties

23 Jul 2019   [#1]
Hi all,
Not sure if I'm the only one who uses chamfers and fillets which needs to be modified later or I'm missing some crucial funcionality in MOI.

I have this cover model and I want to modify chamfer but I cannot do so.

I tried to delete the chamfered surface and extend one wall down and make planar surface with lower face edge, then join everything but I never get the solid again.

I tried the script
script:var gd = moi.geometryDatabase; gd.deselectAll(); var breps = gd.getObjects().getBreps(); for ( var i = 0; i < breps.length; ++i ) breps.item(i).getNakedEdges().setProperty( 'selected', true );
and I can see some edges that are not highlighted, but no idea how to properly remove them to get that thing to solid.

Things like these are so frustrating that I feel like total idiot and really want to break something. Simple thing like this takes me more than 30 minutes trying to figure (and I failed).
Is really MoI only artistic modeler or anyone who uses it for mechanical parts got their models 100% everytime so they don't need to do any alterations afterwards?

Do I have to look for another software if I want do make and modify mechanical parts?

Thanks a lot.

Attachments:
cover.3dm

Image Attachments:
cover chamfer.PNG 

23 Jul 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Have you try that ?
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5931.1

23 Jul 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Yes. It looks so easy on the picture with such simple object, but when I try with attached model it's just bunch of surfaces and I'm unable or join in reasonable timeframe.
It would be faster to recreate whole model...
23 Jul 2019   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Mr. Yuri, one pretty simple method is if you want to modify a chamfer later you should save off a version of your model without any chamfers on it so you can go back to that and reapply chamfers later.

If you find that you need to modify such things frequently then yes another CAD program that has parametrics would definitely be appropriate. There are many different CAD programs out there that work like that, look at programs like SolidWorks, OnShape, Alibre, etc...

Because there are many programs that are focused on that, it has not been a priority for MoI, MoI is focused on different kinds of qualities than that.

But it is possible to remove your chamfer in MoI without really too much trouble though, the sequence goes like this:

Select these faces:

Then delete:

Draw a polyline in the corner, mirror it and trim:

Select the top edges and extrude down:

Then join those together and use Construct > Planar to seal off the bottom hole:

I timed it and it took me less than 1 minute to do these steps.

It does take more skill to do this kind of repair work, if it is a big priority for you to do this without investing much time to gain the modeling skills then a parametric CAD system would be the way to go, they definitely make it very easy to make these kinds of alterations. There are also some programs that have "feature removal" tools which can erase things like fillets on an imported model. You might check out SpaceClaim for that.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
mryuri_chamfer1.jpg  mryuri_chamfer2.jpg  mryuri_chamfer3.jpg  mryuri_chamfer4.jpg  mryuri_chamfer5.jpg  mryuri_chamfer6.jpg 

23 Jul 2019   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Hi Mr. Yuri,

re:
> It would be faster to recreate whole model...

On a simple part that can be a good approach.

- Michael
23 Jul 2019   [#6] In reply to [#1]
Or another way:

Delete:

Extrude:

Draw a line across:

Construct > Planar to build a planar bottom:

Select the main piece, the extrude, and the planar bottom and do one boolean union:

The little triangle pieces will be cut away and left over.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
mryuri2_chamfer1.jpg  mryuri2_chamfer2.jpg  mryuri2_chamfer3.jpg  mryuri2_chamfer4.jpg  mryuri2_chamfer5.jpg 

23 Jul 2019   [#7] In reply to [#3]
Maybe the thing that's blocking you is if you're trying to fill in just the very localized area around the chamfer itself. Like if you're trying to build just the smallest size patch that sort of fills in only what the chamfer removed.

You don't want to do it that way - instead it's usually better to delete both the chamfer and also the adjacent surfaces to it and then reconstruct the larger area.

- Michael
23 Jul 2019   [#8]
I believe that this little thing at some place blocks all your try! ;)
If you kill them and reconstruct faces by a simple loft by an edge all will be more easy

And i will make this : A little sweep by 2 rails + final bolean union