MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: How to make this shape a single solid

22 Jul 2019   [#1]
I've been using the flow command to make this speaked grill. I want to make it into a solid, but it wont connect the pieces using the join tool and it won't seem to Boolean. It consists of 134 solids build using Crosshatchit1 & Pipe2 plugins to make the grill. It exports perfectly to obj as a single object! Any help appreciated. What am I doing wrong?
Ron

Image Attachments:
Unable to make into a single solid.jpg 

22 Jul 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Ron, well join only glues together open surfaces that are touching at common edges. It doesn't intersect or cut pieces with each other which is what you would want to do here. So you would need to use booleans for that, but that is a highly complex case for the booleans to work with. The booleans try to generate intersection curves between surfaces and then to combine them there needs to be a well formed closed loop of intersection curves. Cases that barely graze each other or touch only in a point make it a lot more difficult to get the kind of clean intersection that you would need.

A couple of things you could try would be to do the boolean in smaller pieces at a time (possibly just 2 crossing pieces at a time) and you also might have better success if you did the boolean on the flat pieces first before the flow since the pieces will be more precise on the flat one.

If you can post the file somewhere that might also help to give better advice. It's probably a pretty large file so you would need to use a file sharing service to upload the file and then post a link to it here.

- Michael
22 Jul 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael, I've just tried it on sections of the original flat version and it works ok now. Thanks for your help
Ron