MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: DXF Export

3 Jul 2019   [#1]
Hi,

When I export a file to dxf MOI give me options to generate hidden lines and choosing between saving a custom layer name or use "style" name as layer name.
In this latter case, in exported dxf, I cannot distinguish between hidden lines and solid line (because both belongs to same layer).
In the former case I have a separate "hidden_line" layer but all objects have same layer for hidden lines.

I would like to ask if there is the possibility to have something like this: use "style name" as "hidden_lines layer" but adding an additional prefix, i.e. for an object with style name <mystyle> export hidden_lines_layer as <mystyle_hidden> or something like that
3 Jul 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi miquik, there isn't any way to do that currently but I will see about adding in an additional option for that.

How about if it worked like this - if you have "Generate hidden lines" checked, and you also have Layer: "From style", there could be an additional line below that for optionally putting in a prefix or suffix like this:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
screenshot_2019-07-03_01-49-11.png 

3 Jul 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael,

Yes, that would be great! Indeed, for my needs, It would be enough to add a "static" prefix for example, but if you think it would be easy to let user choose prefix/suffix, it would be better.
So, I'm waiting for that, it will help me a lot

Thanks
3 Jul 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi miquik, yes I think that should be easy to allow a user specified prefix/suffix. And it preserves current behavior if they are just left blank.

I should be able to add it for the next v4 beta.

Thanks, - Michael
3 Jul 2019   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Hi miquik, maybe it's a little cleaner to do it like this, that is more compact so it would be easier to fit it in the PDF/AI export options as well:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
screenshot_2019-07-03_02-38-54.png 

3 Jul 2019   [#6] In reply to [#5]
You are the boss! so it's up to you!
5 Jul 2019   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Sorry Michael,

Just another consideration. We talking about export to dxf by "style" but what about export by "name"?
My STEP files are composed of several "bodies"; my step exporter set a name to each of them and MOI import them setting name property (but keeping everything as "Default Style").
I write a little script to create a style of every name in object tree; after that I can export in dxf with all stuff we discussed yesterday.

I would like to avoid this, why dxf exporter could not simply use "object name" as layer in export procedure?

Miquik
5 Jul 2019   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Miquik,

re:
> I would like to avoid this, why dxf exporter could not simply use "object name" as layer in export procedure?

Layers in DXF match more closely to Styles in MoI than they do to object names. Layers in DXF have a name and a color associated with them. Styles in MoI also have a name and color associated with them while object names have only a name and no color.

So that's why MoI's DXF exporter is focused on transferring styles as a layers in the DXF output.

- Michael