MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: View names and positioning objects

17 Jun 2019   [#1]
Hi all,
I use MOI for designing various old-timer vehicles for 3D printing.
Let's take a bus. It's obvious what is the front or back, and which are the left/right sides. The length is several times bigger as width or height.
Drawing such an object in MOI results in a "conflict": If the front/back and left/right views are OK, the top view is "vertically" oriented, so the editing on wide screen monitor is not optimal. So I am using to draw such object placed the longest dimension along the X axis, and live with "confusing views", instead front/back I see left right side of the bus, and vice versa...

Is there a simple way (setup, script) to:
rotate the "top" view
or swap the front/back left/right button names?

(changing the X/Y labels in "options" does not have effect...searching these discussion several times also did not bring an effect)

Is there a way to see the split view "unevenly"?
e.g. bigger 3D view, smaller other views or wider top and front views and narrow 3D&left view
(I mean something like moving the center point of the spitted view)

Jozef

Image Attachments:
Splitview-MoI.jpg 

17 Jun 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Jozef, sorry no there is not currently any way to move the center point of the split view.

You can change the names of the views if you like though, the names come from a file named EnglishStrings.txt which is in the UI subdirectory inside the main MoI installation directory.

Inside there starting on line 17 is where the text for the view tabs on the bottom toolbar is defined, it currently looks like this:

Split=Split
Top=Top
Bottom=Bottom
Front=Front
Back=Back
Right=Right
Left=Left
3D=3D

If you change the text on the right hand side of the equal sign then that will modify the text in the view tabs.

The viewport titles are in a separate section, at line 1414:

; View labels in the upper-left corner of a viewport.
TopViewLabel=Top
BottomViewLabel=Bottom
LeftViewLabel=Left
RightViewLabel=Right
FrontViewLabel=Front
BackViewLabel=Back
3DViewLabel=3D

- Michael
17 Jun 2019   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Also it is possible to relocate the ortho views to a different location by setting up a construction plane using View > CPlane.

But that will relocate all of the top, front, and side views together to a new frame of reference.

- Michael
17 Jun 2019   [#4]
Thank you Michael.
I will make an alternative EnglishStrings.txt and switch between standard and modified one, it's fine, I can leave with it :-)

Jozef