MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Looking for advice based on my current use and experience.

Show messages: All  1  2-15

16 Jun 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
"How is this software using a pen?"

You even use only the pen without mouse! :)
16 Jun 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Really. That is what I want to do. This is why I bought the Surface Go tablet, highly recommend, as I do a lot of onenote with my company, and wanted to be able to sit down and just take the pen out and be able to work in the software. Is there a good setup for the right button etc?
16 Jun 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Normally the Mouse Right Click Button is used for validate the actual function and repeat the last function!
So seems a good thing to make the same with one of your Pen Button(s) ! ;)
16 Jun 2019   [#5] In reply to [#1]
Hi Alan, based on your description I'd say that MoI is likely to be a good fit for you. A lot can depend on personal preferences though so I'd encourage you to download the trial version and test it out yourself some to see if it suits you or not.

A good way to get started is to read the introductory section of the help file and watch the tutorial videos which you can find here:
http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_help.htm

MoI was originally designed to work well with a pen tablet so you can do a lot of stuff with it without using right-click and without needing to touch the keyboard.

- Michael
16 Jun 2019   [#6] In reply to [#1]
Hi Alan,

"I design items for board games, that compliment, organize, etc."

You might want to post some visual examples of what you're thinking of...
...if what you're wanting to design is more "organic" shaped then MoI may not entirely suit your other requirements...

"Want to have one piece of software I stick with to create the things I think about in my head"

HTH, Colin
16 Jun 2019   [#7] In reply to [#1]
I can speak to the 3D printer questions, as I've used MoI a lot to design printed parts for my projects.

I also have Simplify3D and use it with my Robo R2 3D printer. I export my parts from MoI as STL files and Simplify3D has always imported and sliced them with no problems.

My projects require good precision as I often press bearings into holes or press 3D printed gears on to motor shafts. Here's a tip: In Simplify3D I scale the part to 100.5% This is to compensate for shrinkage as the plastic cools. Experiment and find a value that works for your system.

Ed Ferguson
17 Jun 2019   [#8] In reply to [#5]
Michael.
Thank you for your response. Have read some of your interviews and love the way that you have designed what I have seen so far. I have noticed that your software has some authorized re seller's as well? What is my best path to purchase this? Direct or through your re seller channel?
Love that you have designed this with pen in mind.
If I buy now, I will get upgraded to version 4 upon release?
Everything I have seen so far makes a lot of sense, and there are a set of tutorials on youtube that I have been watching, and depending on how much I dive in, you also have videos you sell correct? Would those be too advanced or are meant to help a person who is comfortable with software just learn where the tools are and basic use?
I have the trial on a couple of my computers and was concerned about how it would work on my Surface Go, and it works very well.
Thumbs up on this Michael.
Once I get up and running I will be sure to write a review that you can use if you want.
Been searching for one program to learn and use moving ahead, and my primary use is for output to a 3D printer.

alan
17 Jun 2019   [#9] In reply to [#6]

Here is an example of a case I designed for a board game called Too Many Bones. I am looking to build board game table organizing accessories. Things that make it easier to sort out all the parts in the newer games that are coming out.

Image Attachments:
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190610213540324.jpg 

17 Jun 2019   [#10] In reply to [#7]
Ed.
Great minds think alike.
I use Simplify as well and increase .5 to 1 % depending on fit I need. I understand that the OBJ file format may be even better than STL. Have you tried to import those yet?
alan
17 Jun 2019   [#11] In reply to [#8]
Hi Alan,

re:
> I have noticed that your software has some authorized re seller's as well? What is my best path to
> purchase this? Direct or through your re seller channel?

Well it doesn't really make much difference but often the resellers have a little lower price so that might be best for you.

> If I buy now, I will get upgraded to version 4 upon release?

Yup, we are close enough to the v4 release that if you order now you will be able to get a v4 upgrade for no additional cost. The way it will work is there will be a link on the order page where you'll be able to put in your V3 license key and it will give you a v4 upgrade there.

> Everything I have seen so far makes a lot of sense, and there are a set of tutorials on
> youtube that I have been watching, and depending on how much I dive in, you also
> have videos you sell correct?

Actually no, I don't have any additional videos for sale myself. There is a collection of links to other tutorials though at http://moi3d.com/resources .

Thanks, - Michael
17 Jun 2019   [#12] In reply to [#10]
Hi Alan,

re:
> I understand that the OBJ file format may be even better than STL.

Well OBJ format supports a lot more things than STL like it can have materials in it but it is not likely that this additional information will be used by your slicer program.

Also OBJ format supports n-gons (polygons with more than 3 or 4 sides) but it's also not likely that the slicer is set up to handle those very well so you would probably want to use the option "Export: Triangles only" when you export the .obj file.

STL format is the one that is most frequently used for 3D printing data transfer.

If you want to export to a rendering program, that's when OBJ format is better to use than STL.

- Michael
17 Jun 2019   [#13] In reply to [#11]
Yes, correct, it was another user that had some tutorials. I appreciate your response and dedication to your creation. That helps me make my decision.
17 Jun 2019   [#14] In reply to [#12]
Perfect. I always work with stl files and thought that if I was getting into multi material use such as colors, that OBJ contained some info such as that color information? Could be wrong. Have a Mk3S that will be getting the MMU2 treatment when it is fully vetted.
17 Jun 2019   [#15] In reply to [#14]
Hi Alan, yes that is true that you would want to use OBJ format if you do want to transfer color/material information. There is no way to have colors in STL files but there is in OBJ files.

You probably would want to set "Export: Triangles only" on the meshing options dialog when you do the OBJ export.

- Michael

Show messages: All  1  2-15