MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Workaround for Linux Nvidia users

Show messages:  1-20  21-22

18 May 2019   [#1]
MoI runs great under WINE. But sadly there's a bug in the Nvidia driver that makes it a bit problematic for Nvidia users. In short - display state seems to be always at least one action behind of the real state. So for example you wouldn't get correct highlighting on mouse hover and so on.

https://vimeo.com/manage/296282117/general

But it seems a valid workaround has been posted on WINE's bugzilla:
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25912

It seems that setting this environment variable does the trick:
__GL_MaxFramesAllowed=1

At this point I don't know whether this workaround has any other implications - but so far it seems it makes MoI usable for Nvidia Linux users :).
28 May 2019   [#2]
I would like a basic/detailed instuction on how to install Moi on Linux. It does not look straight forward. I have Linux Mint installed on an old laptop with nvidia graphics.

A video would be amazing!
28 May 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi 3dcnc, you need to install wine first. Go to a terminal window that has a command prompt and type in wine and push Enter. It will say something like:
quote:
Command 'wine' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install wine-development
sudo apt install wine-stable

You probably want the stable one so type in "sudo apt install wine-stable" and push enter.

Now type "wine --version" to see if it's installed ok. It may say that you need wine32 to also be installed so then type in "sudo apt install wine32" and push Enter.

Now try "wine --version" again to see if it is set up ok.

Now you need to run the MoI installer using wine, you do that from the command prompt by passing wine the name of the MoI installer like:

wine moi_v4_beta_Feb-27-2019_setup.exe

That should run the installer, set the checkbox option in the installer to make a desktop shortcut and then you can run MoI from the desktop icon after that.

- Michael
28 May 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Thanks Michael

How do I adjust/set the variable as suggested in previous post?

It seems that setting this environment variable does the trick:
__GL_MaxFramesAllowed=1
28 May 2019   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi 3dcnc, re: how to set environment variable, search for something like "linux mint set environment variable", this was one result:
https://superuser.com/questions/1171837/how-to-set-global-environment-variables-linuxmint

or this:

https://justrikka.wordpress.com/2012/10/05/how-to-add-environment-variables-in-linux-mint-13/

You'll put something like

export __GL_MaxFramesAllowed=1

in the file it mentions.

- Michael
28 May 2019   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Thats great. Thanks so much for this. Will give it a try.

regards

Mark
29 May 2019   [#7] In reply to [#3]
When you install Moi via wine. Do I download the Moi version and save to harddrive. Then direct wine to the download? Or does wine search for the installer on the hardrive?

Not used wine before?

I have used the terminal window to install drivers and codecs.
29 May 2019   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Mark, yes you download the MoI Windows version and save it on your harddrive somewhere.

Then in a terminal window go to the directory where you saved it (using "cd"). Then in that directory you'll run wine and pass it the name of the Moi setup program.

So if the MoI installer is named moi_v4_beta_Feb-27-2019_setup.exe you'd put in:

wine moi_v4_beta_Feb-27-2019_setup.exe

That will run wine and tell it to load and run that windows program. In the MoI installer there is a checkbox option for making a desktop shortcut, it is off by default. Turn that checkbox option on and then after it is installed you'll get an icon on your desktop and you'll be able to launch it from that icon.

- Michael
16 Jun 2019   [#9]
Another option would be to use one of the GUI frontends for WINE (PlayOnLinux, Crossover , Lutris etc):
https://vimeo.com/342589409
16 Jun 2019   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Thanks a lot Przemas !
17 Jun 2019   [#11] In reply to [#9]
Thanks so much. very helpful.
11 Aug 2019   [#12]
Another thing I've tried was using D9VK (as if I recall correctly current MoI version uses DX9). What it basically does is it translates DX9 calls into Vulkan. Sadly it would require "child window rendering" which is currently not supported in D9VK. But maybe will see this feature implemented - as this project matures quickly.
I wonder whether MoI beta, which uses newer DX would work with DXVK, which is much more mature project (it translates DX10/DX11 calls into Vulkan).
If someone is willing to play and test let us know how it went.

Oh, and the reason I'm trying it out is because from my experience those "WINE addons" offer much better performance and stability.
24 Sep 2020   [#13]
Hello, anyone get a bit of progress lately ? I'm running the last beta on Ubuntu 20.10, and even with the __GL_MaxFramesAllowed=1 set in ENV, edges selection can still be problematic from time to time (like after maximizing the 3D view).

printenv shows __GL_MaxFramesAllowed=1, so I suppose I'm good for that part of the problem.

MoI it the last bit of software I would really miss too much :(
24 Sep 2020   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Nevemind, even if the selection was fixed, exporting heavy asset is like 25x slower than native windows, I don't think multi-threading is that well supported with wine.
24 Sep 2020   [#15] In reply to [#14]
Previous version(s) was more speed ?
25 Sep 2020   [#16] In reply to [#15]
No idea Pilou, I remember having MoI working with Mint long time ago (different hardware), but I didn't tried to load/export 'complex' stuffs.

Actually I don't remember MoI loading models that fast on windows either, a 450Mb .3dm loaded in 4 sec with the last beta ... it's insane :)
25 Sep 2020   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Hi PaQ,

re:
> a 450Mb .3dm loaded in 4 sec with the last beta ... it's insane :)

Not bad! :) That will be from the new parallelized loader in v4, it's able to chew on processing objects using multiple CPU cores.

- Michael
28 May 2022   [#18]
Hi,

I have an annoying problem that I can't solve. When I create a box and click on the surface it selects the surface behind the box.

How can fix that? MoiV4/V5
28 May 2022   [#19] In reply to [#18]
Hi surferdude, what operating system are you running on?

- Michael
28 May 2022   [#20] In reply to [#19]
Hi Michael,

I'm using Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS, I'm learning Linux. Would be great to have Moi on Linux as well, I'm okay with Wine.

Show messages:  1-20  21-22