MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Things with lots of variable filets

12 May 2019   [#1]
Hi
I just tried to make this in Moi (inside red line)

It's sort of semi organic with lots of variable filets but it was designed in the 1940's so is a fairly simple design. I have seen people use blend to join surfaces to make much more complex shapes so thought this would be simple. I'm sure it can be done but how? Anybody know?

My best attempt was to rough it out in Moi and soften the outline in 3d Coat. That then leads to having to retopo so not much point using Moi (except for the obvious fun element in doing so).

Many thanks in advance
Keith

Image Attachments:
kj.JPG 

12 May 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Some ideas ...
Extrude,Boolean Diff, Fillets...

13 May 2019   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Keith, do you mean you tried using MoI's variable radius fillets but ran into problems with them?

Can you please post the .3dm model file of what you got so far so I can take a look?

- Michael
13 May 2019   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Keith, I made a quick try like this:

Side profile curve:

Extrude:

Top profile curve:

Boolean difference:

Variable radius fillet:

The way you do variable radius fillet in MoI is select all edges that will be involved in the filleting, then set the main radius, put in the radius that will be used for most pieces. Then to specify additional radii expand the "Fillet set" control inside the fillet's command options, then click "New point set" and pick some points where you want a different radius value. So for example above I picked 2 points one on each end. Then you'll be back to inputting a radius value but now it's a second radius value for this new point set and when I put in a smaller value that produces the variable radius fillet above.

You can also click on the "Current set:" label which is showing what set the current radius value will be applied to. When you do that a menu will pop up and you can switch the active point set or switch back to the main radius value, or delete a point set.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
keith_variable1.jpg  keith_variable2.jpg  keith_variable3.jpg  keith_variable4.jpg  keith_variable5.jpg 

13 May 2019   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Thanks Michael
I will give it another try when I am back at the keyboard. Thanks for helping so quickly.
Best wishes
Keith
13 May 2019   [#6] In reply to [#2]
Hi Frenchy Pilou
Thanks for taking time to reply. I have trouble where filets intercept. Micheal has suggested a way below that I will try. In my imagination there was some way of blending surfaces. I have seen people do this when modelling car bodies (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr6WBeHbzK0). Organic curves is one are where I struggle when using Moi. I think its the place where my brain finds its limit when imagining how to create shapes.
13 May 2019   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Variable fillet is a little tricky in Moi! You must make a little training!
As you can put any angle along your first general one!
But very funny to make!

Here only one, but you can add any number you want
all was recalculated!
Careful don't press (last) Done till you want add one more!!!

13 May 2019   [#8]
Here a multiple variable Fillets on a same edge! :)
One general with 3 unities angle
Two with 2 unities angle
One with 0 unity angle

When you press the last "Done" edition will be not possible : only CTRL + Z but all will be losted!

Remark that previous fillets will be not visible when you add news point!
So draw Lines Guid for some help! They stay between new adds till the last "Done"! ;)