MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Any parametric updates?

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-113

28 May 2019   [#61] In reply to [#60]
MOI + Make2D4Views script ( http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8041.1 ) exported in DXF + free SOLID EDGE 2D DRAFTING ( https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/plmapp/education/solid-edge/en_us/free-software/free-2d-cad ) = perfect results for technical drawing.

Only thing it has to be done is alignment of views according to appropriate standard - US vs EU ( http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8041.19 )

Ciao
Mik
28 May 2019   [#62] In reply to [#61]
even simpler....

MOI + ONSHAPE (free)
Import my MoI .3dm file in Onshape and apply Menu > Create drawing of 3dm
28 May 2019   [#63] In reply to [#60]
Hi Pilou,

re:
> Can we move, orient (align) , size the "Blah" text ? (after draw the arrow lines)

I'll probably try to have an option for moving it but align or sizing is not likely.

> Does the "Blah" text has some of these 3 functions as "native" ones when you
> draw the arrow lines?

Sorry I don't understand this part.

>and something like "out" (begin, end) "cut" (when inside) arrow lines?

I'm going to be working on having text cut the arrow line, the text part is still not finished yet.

- Michael
28 May 2019   [#64] In reply to [#58]
Hi James,

re:
> Another possible work around would be to have 2 perpendicular associated planes with each vector,
> like shown below, however with only one arrow displayed at any one time. The display would be triggered
> on/off (or off/on) based on angle of incidence to screen view.

I gave this a try, here's what it looks like:

Doesn't seem too satisfying in removing planar feel to it, if you pause the video at various spots things still seem pretty planar.

- Michael
28 May 2019   [#65] In reply to [#64]
Michael,

On the contrary, I think it is most satisfactory. Vectors after all are just aids for visualising spatial constraint in the construction process; not for final output.

Thank you so much, brilliant work
James
28 May 2019   [#66] In reply to [#65]
Hi James, ok well it's a quite localized tweak to get that behavior so it should be fine to have a script property on annotation objects that will make it behave like that when set.

Those ones shown in the last video are Leader objects with 2 points.

- Michael
28 May 2019   [#67] In reply to [#63]
> Does the "Blah" text has some of these 3 functions as "native" ones when you
> draw the arrow lines?

<< Sorry I don't understand this part.

When you draw your "arrows" does the Text is yet configured for have definited Size, Align (up, down,on), Distance etc... or it's after draw?
Or we can take the "Blah" as an normal object for make any what you want...

But I am not impatient! :) Because there is yet a cool one by Max Smirnov! ;)
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7403.133

28 May 2019   [#68] In reply to [#67]
Hi Pilou,

re:
> When you draw your "arrows" does the Text is yet configured for has definited Size, Align (up, down,on),
> Distance etc... or it's after draw?

Neither - the text is displayed as a text label on screen more like the object snap tags like "End", "Mid", etc... so it gets its size from the regular UI font size.

- Michael
28 May 2019   [#69] In reply to [#56]
Hi Michael,

Thanks, the extension lines would be fine with that gap.

>For the gap on arrows, would that also apply to the arrows going to the extension lines in a linear dimension like above,
>or only to the arrows on other dimension types?

The arrows can touch the shapes and the extension lines as there is no ambiguity for the reader but the actual ones slightly cross the shapes.

Thanks,

Michel
28 May 2019   [#70]
When will we get the dimension tool. I think everybody here is full of expectation.
28 May 2019   [#71] In reply to [#69]
Hi Michel, the arrowhead points do have a few pixels sticking out past the lines, that's due to its wire outline being drawn with mitered corners and anti-aliasing.

You can see the same thing in regular curves in MoI if you just make a line and a pointy triangle:

Max's one doesn't do that because it makes a surface for the arrowhead and surface trim boundaries are not drawn with mitered corners between segments.

If this is troublesome I guess I could make a setting to not miter the arrowhead tip.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
Mip_miter.jpg 

28 May 2019   [#72] In reply to [#70]
Hi Rudl,

> When will we get the dimension tool. I think everybody here is full of expectation.

It will be in the next v4 beta which will probably be the last one.

I've got just a couple more areas to finish them - text display and export to PDF/AI/DXF formats.

- Michael
28 May 2019   [#73] In reply to [#71]
Hi Michael,

>Max's one doesn't do that because it makes a surface for the arrowhead
>and surface trim boundaries are not drawn with mitered corners between segments.

>If this is troublesome I guess I could make a setting to not miter the arrowhead tip.

Thanks for the explanation.
I would prefer the drawing to be as sharp as possible when adding dimensions if it's not too hard or heavy on display performance.

Michel
28 May 2019   [#74] In reply to [#65]
Hi James, here's a different variation on the arrowhead reorienting. This one turns the plane around the arrowhead direction to point as much as possible towards the view direction.

I tried this before but I guess I had something wrong. What do you think, better or worse than the one that switches between 2 planes? :

- Michael
28 May 2019   [#75] In reply to [#74]
Michael,

>> better or worse....? <<

Not just better, it is exactly what I originally requested.
Absolutely Brilliant!

Thank you so much

James
https://www.instagram.com/nodeology/
29 May 2019   [#76] In reply to [#73]
Hi Michel,

re:
> I would prefer the drawing to be as sharp as possible when adding dimensions if it's not too hard
> or heavy on display performance.

Well the thing is that mitered corners for the outer line drawing helps make the butt end of the arrow sharp.

It's subtle but here's a comparison - here's #1 with all mitered corners for the outer line:

Here's #2 with the outer boundary as separate lines with no mitered corners at all. The thing I don't like here is if you zoom in to the butt of the horizontal ones you can see it's got a slight rounded appearance instead of very crisp corners:

Here's #3 with only the butt corners mitered and not the tip mitered. It makes a little more blunt tip than it ideally should be but that would also mean the tip won't stick out as much:

Here's #4 with no outer line drawings at all, only a fill:

So number 1 is pretty much the best arrowhead shape that I can make I think. I don't like the butt end of number 2. Number 3 seems like a good compromise it keeps the tip from extending out too much but keeps the butt end sharp. The tip is a little rounded from a perfect arrowhead though. Number 4 seems pretty gross with no antialiasing.

My current thinking is that I'll go with #1 by default but I could have an option to do #3 instead. I'm not sure if #2 or #4 have much value but let me know what you think.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
arrow_all_mitered.png  arrow_none_mitered.png  arrow_no_outline.png  arrow_tip_not_mitered.png 

29 May 2019   [#77] In reply to [#75]
Hi James,

> Not just better, it is exactly what I originally requested.
> Absolutely Brilliant!

That's great, you're welcome! That's what I'll set up then.

- Michael
29 May 2019   [#78]
IMO, as an Industrial Designer, non-destructive modeling is a powerful tool as it allows designers to adjust proportions and details *after the fact.* I have always been fascinated by Vitaly Bulgarov's magical sense of proportion and design execution which he creates in MoI. Trying to replicate in polys (the resulting mesh is much more render friendly) has always ended up in a disaster based on lack of proportion correctness-- UNTIL I came across Blender's modifiers.

I coined the term NITROX3D and wrote a post on it at BA:

https://blenderartists.org/t/nitrox3d-a-new-hard-surface-workflow-for-designers/1162363

It's not meant to replace MoI3D, as there still is no solid modeler functions and 3D printing these types of meshes typically requires massive corrections. But creating and editing them is a snap using Blender's modifier stack. Pretty sweet stuff.

It has made me a believer in parametric modeling. And because it's all polys, it happens pretty darn fast versus parametic functions added to the NURBS KERNEL.
29 May 2019   [#79] In reply to [#78]
@Chipp
it's funny as same technology emerge in the same time on the same prog! :)
Seems SpeedFlow has the same paradigm. "No destructive polygons building" all stay editable.

Am I wrong ? SPeedFlow Companion (2 Addons in the same package) - by a French forum friend - the accent ;)
https://pitiwazou.artstation.com/pages/speedflow (big video who show all aspects - see*2 spedd for a better accent! ;)

29 May 2019   [#80] In reply to [#78]
Hello Chipp!

I took only a quick look at your article, but it seems that you're doing really a SUPER GREAT JOB!!!

Very interesting things for all Industrial Designers.

Since you switched to Blender you're making serious progress into this field!

My respects :)

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-113