MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Scripts vs integrated features

6 May 2019   [#1]
Hey all - I am a relatively new user to MOI. Coming from poly modelers, zbrush, etc. there has been a (is currently) a bit of a learning curve, but I love it. I have a lot to learn, but it has proven itself useful.

That said, I'm not really sure how to proceed regarding scripts to add additional features, as I don't know where to start. I've added a couple of scripts (namely for save as, viewport toggle, and frame selection). However I've seen some vids with extra buttons in the UI (align points to be specific), and will likely search those out. I'm wondering though if these types of features will eventually be integrated natively into the UI. I am not against hunting down scripts, but just wonder what the direction of the feature-set will be.

Thanks.
6 May 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Lee, MoI is heavily focused on being lightweight and easy to use, so it is not expected to have a lot of extra repeated buttons in the default UI.

re:
> However I've seen some vids with extra buttons in the UI (align points to be specific),
> and will likely search those out.

That's the "CustomUI" UI extension which you can find here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6507.1

The align points function is already present in the standard UI under Transform > Align.

> I am not against hunting down scripts, but just wonder what the direction of the feature-set will be.

It's a priority to try and keep it close to its current state by default.

- Michael
6 May 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply. It makes total sense to keep MoI lightweight, and I must remember that. I took an AutoCad class a couple of years ago and it made my head swim. The ease of use is one of the characteristics that sold me on MoI. I feel like I have largely only scratched the surface of MoI, and am enjoying having those ah-ha moments. I used it to retopo/rebuild a 3D scan of the hammer of an 1858 cap and ball revolver, and I was amazed at how accurate I could get the rebuild.

I appreciate the heads-up on the Custom UI. I will investigate.

Thanks again,
-Lee