MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Fillet Problem Due to Seam ?

5 May 2019   [#1]
Hi,
Is it possible to fix the seam in the corner here as it will not allow me to create a fillet. It's an issue I run across for time to time & would love to know if there is a work around ?

Attachments:
MOI Sphere.3dm

Image Attachments:
moi1.JPG  moi2.JPG 

5 May 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Maybe at the beginning of your modeling rotate the sphere for have the seam in a place where there will nothing till the end...

In your special case seems your object is symmetrical and you had successed to make a fillet on the same piece on the other side so...
Just Mirror your result! ;)
5 May 2019   [#3] In reply to [#1]
So you can grab and separate that piece out. select all the edges and do a join to get curves (Left in your file)
Select all the edges and hit delete to recover a sphere... rotate the speres seam edge away fro your work, then trim with the curves you grabbed.

Image Attachments:
sphere_mod.jpg 

5 May 2019   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi flippyfloop attached here is another version with the seam rotated like Burr's.

My method is Edit > Separate on the sphere face. Do an "untrim" by selecting one edge of it, then Ctrl+A for select all then Delete. Then Transform > Rotate > Rotate axis to rotate the sphere, then Edit > Trim and use the "Select naked edges" shortcut key (http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6051.2) in the step where you are selecting cutting objects. Then Edit > Join to glue it back together.

- Michael

Attachments:
MOI Sphere2_3dm.zip

6 May 2019   [#5] In reply to [#4]
That works great thanks.
Was not aware of the Untrim function & the Naked Edges. Both very helpful.
Cheers.
9 May 2019   [#6] In reply to [#4]
Thanks Michael,
I reread my post, which was utterly unclear and insufficient..........