MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Fillets in Moi and Fusion 360

30 Mar 2019   [#1]
Hi Michael,
I realise it isn't fair to compare two program's features to closely, however I was wondering after looking at a Moi model I had problems filleting, very tight angles and junctions, and then importing it into Fusion and finding I was very easily able to fillet in there. It seems Fusion somehow extends the edge selected to a point that allowed the fillet to take place logically.

I am wonder, as you are obviously aware of the differences in the two programs, if there were plans to implement something in Moi that would allow for filleting along the same lines. I suspect this would be a major code redo but only guessing.

I love Moi and really don't like Fusion's workflow at all so having a more robust fillet solution within Moi would be welcome.

Thanks,
Mark.
30 Mar 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Mark, I do want to improve filleting in MoI but the main route to doing so is to incorporate an additional geometry library and there is a large amount of work involved in doing that. So I'm not certain when that will happen.

Filleting is a very complex operation involving many aspects such as offsetting surfaces, extending surfaces, intersecting surfaces that may be nearly grazing each other and recognizing many different corner junction conditions and filling those in. It is one of the most complex operations in CAD and is not easily dealt with.

- Michael
30 Mar 2019   [#3]
Thanks Michael
I can't imagine how complicated it must be, but great that it is on the hit list for some future update.
All the best
Mark.
19 Apr 2019   [#4] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael,

Maybe this is a stupid idea, but couldn't it be possible to internally use Boolean and Blend to realize fillets that can't be done using the regular Fillet algorithm? Maybe incorporating that as an "Alternate method" checkbox in the Fillet tool.

Regards,

Metin
19 Apr 2019   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Metin, unfortunately one of the most difficult things for fillets is handling cases where fillets come together between multiple surfaces. The Blend command is only focused on generating a surface, not on handling juncture areas.

- Michael
22 Apr 2019   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Well, for v4 I'd really appreciate a fillet removal tool. Cleaning up those geometry is still very tedious in MoI.

Nevertheless, for what MoI is intended for I'm still very satisfied with the fillet function.
22 Apr 2019   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi 3image, unfortunately the geometry library MoI currently uses does not have a fillet removal function, so it will not be feasible for me to implement that kind of tool in MoI v4.

You might take a look at SpaceClaim for that type of function, I think it has a good tool for that.

- Michael
22 Apr 2019   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Michael,

Any news on a switch to new geometry kernel which will be able to handle complex fillets (like Fusion260, SpaceClaim, etc.), among other things?

Thanks!
22 Apr 2019   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi klaudio, sorry no news on that currently.

- Michael
23 Apr 2019   [#10]
I've asked once to add Points for scripting just for this purpose (to rewrite fillet and shell in js)
23 Apr 2019   [#11] In reply to [#7]
Hi Michael,

Actually, the - for students and hobbyists - (still) free Fusion360 already does that: It's able to remove fillets.

Yeah, I can remember you already mentioned it some time ago, so I can understand that situation. But still, I think a new solid kernel is a must for the next version (v5 since we are already at v4 :-D ).