MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: computer performance

16 Mar 2019   [#1]
Hi,
I'm trying to edit models in MOI and sometimes complex models take a lot of time.
Like 5-10 for "simple" extrusion of one side.

I have i7 with 16GB RAM I think decent PC with older graphics card (2GB).
When the operation is calculating I open task manager but don't see 100% (or even close) on any resource.
CPU and graphics card on 15% max.
Have SSDs.

How can I speed things up?
Do I need good graphics for that?
16 Mar 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Mr. Yuri, can you send me an example file where you're getting slow performance with a simple extrusion? Either post it here or e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com if you wish to keep it private.

For that particular case there probably isn't too much you can do to speed it up since most of the work will be done with only one CPU core. MoI does use multiple CPU cores in specific situations like for processing objects on opening files, in the display engine, and when doing a mesh export. But it's a very difficult job to make use of multiple CPU cores because operations have to be split into smaller "work items" which can then be distributed among the different cores and there also has to be some coordination between the cores. So for many cases you should see just one CPU core being maxed out, not all of them.

I can give you better information though if I can test the .3dm file that is giving you problems over here.

- Michael
16 Mar 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael.
Thanks for quick reply. File has over 400MB.
Is there any service you prefer to transfer the file?
16 Mar 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Mr. Yuri, I don't have any particular preferred transfer service, anything (Dropbox, One Drive, etc...) will do.

But if you have 400MB of size all in just one single object, the very high complexity of that one object is probably going to be the cause.

Some things you could try would be to enable the "Keep separate" option in the Extrude command which will stop it from automatically doing a boolean calculation automatically:

Or also if you duplicate the edges around your desired extrusion and extrude those instead of the object face. That will likely improve things because then it won't be sending a large amount of data over to the worker process and back again.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
juraj_keep_separate.jpg 

17 Mar 2019   [#5]
Hi Michael,
I did "keep separate" which helped a lot.
But now I have issue that I want to join those two objects (extruded side and original model) and when I do the command it seems like it's working but it will not join.
EDIT: found out that the big original object has issues performing booleans with other objects.

I also tried overlaping the objects with 0,01mm but didn't help.

Any idea why it won't work?

I can send you 3dm file but I would like to avoid people doing things for me.
17 Mar 2019   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Mr. Yuri,

> Any idea why it won't work?

I can't really tell what you're running into from just a text description, I would need to see the .3dm model file to give very good advice on that.

Sometimes when objects just barely graze each other it can be a problem getting clean intersection curves, an alternative can be to use Edit > Join instead of a boolean. Join unlike booleans does not try to intersect the objects with each other and remove material, Join only glues things together where there are unjoined ("naked") edges.

Another thing to check is if your big original object is a solid or if it has any naked edges.

- Michael
17 Mar 2019   [#7]
For send big files more easy than wetransfer (if possible :)
use the new cool free http://send.firefox.com (no need to have FireFox !!!

1 giga free without any register
2.5 gigas free with free register !
17 Mar 2019   [#8] In reply to [#5]
Hi Mr. Yuri, I sent you an e-mail reply with more details in it but basically the performance is poor with your model because it is structured as a polygon mesh with over 100,000 little flat faces and CAD solids are not designed to work with that kind of high density faceted geometry.

The main thing you would do to improve performance would be to use a polygon mesh modeling program to work with this kind of data instead of a CAD program like MoI.

- Michael
27 Mar 2019   [#9]
Hi Michael,
sorry for late reply (have new son and all).
Thanks for thorough analysis and detailed explanation. I appreciate that.

It is however quite time consuming.
I designed the model in a way that I don't join the parts as a model but export all parts as STL (making it sliceable and 3d printable as one piece)

And found out MoI3 cannot handle in timely manner those models.
MoI4 is much better in this application (and I believe in many others) :)

Juraj