MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V4 beta Feb-27-2019 available now

Show messages:  1-11  12-31  32-51  52-71  72-91  92-111  …  212-218

3 Mar 2019   [#32]
Hello dear Michael,

will you add a kind of Gizmo? I knew, its not like a other polygonbased 3D Tool - but mostly I miss a Gizmo for moving points in X/Y/Z directions, especially for moving/creating points (e.g. in Curves) - this would be a nice to have.
3 Mar 2019   [#33] In reply to [#32]
Hi Lordfox,

re:
> but mostly I miss a Gizmo for moving points in X/Y/Z directions, especially for
> moving/creating points (e.g. in Curves) - this would be a nice to have.

You can already move points or objects in X/Y/Z directions in MoI just by clicking and dragging on the point or object.

If you want to restrict it to only the X, Y, or Z axis then make sure "Straight Snap" is enabled on the bottom toolbar. Then when you move close to the X,Y,Z axis lines it will snap to the axis line. You can also hold down Shift to force it to snap to the nearest one without having to be close to it.

Here is an example showing moving a point in X, Y, or Z:

- Michael
4 Mar 2019   [#34]
Hi Michael,

Is having a drag adjustable browser width an option for V4 - handy in handling long object names.

thanks
Alex.
4 Mar 2019   [#35] In reply to [#34]
Hi Alex, it is still on my list to look at making the scene browser pane width draggable but I don't know yet if it will be in v4 for sure or not.

In the meantime, you can set up the following script on a shortcut key:

var p = moi.ui.getUIPanel( 'moi://ui/BrowserPane.htm' ); if ( p ) { var w = p.document.body.style.width; if ( w == '' || w == '15em' ) { w = '20em'; } else if ( w == '20em' ) { w = '30em' } else { w = '15em' } p.document.body.style.width = w; }

When you trigger that it will cycle through 3 different widths.

- Michael
4 Mar 2019   [#36]
Thanks that works well for the interim.
4 Mar 2019   [#37] In reply to [#36]
Hi Alex, one thing that I haven't been able to decide yet is if the drag sizing method should just be if you drag anywhere along the edge like such things usually are or if I should make a little "knob" like thing kind of like this:

The "anywhere along the edge" method will probably be a pretty narrow strip and could be a little harder to target and sort of wastes a lot of area with the same function all along it.

The knob method could probably be made easier to target and kind of concentrates the area that's used for this but adds a new visual element sitting there all the time...

Any thoughts?

- Michael

Image Attachments:
drag_knob.jpg 

4 Mar 2019   [#38]
Hi everyone!

I am not a UI expert, but my layman vote goes for the single border drag option instead of a knob. It's more intuitive and it's the first thing I would try. :)

I haven't been able to play with the new beta release yet unfortunately, but I am looking forward to it. Very excited to see MoI evolve.
4 Mar 2019   [#39]
Hi Michael, I think any where along that edge - there is the few pixels in between which could be darkened to give the visual clue of an interaction area.

Image Attachments:
border.JPG 

4 Mar 2019   [#40] In reply to [#27]
Hello Michael

Great, it works.

Thank you.
4 Mar 2019   [#41]
Hi, i prefer the knob method...
Moujiik
4 Mar 2019   [#42] In reply to [#37]
For things that only adjust the application (and don't affect content), subtlety is key.

Here's an idea for a knob solution (with a cursor change) to consider...

...and maybe an even smaller knob would do?

If you decide to keep it to just the thin line, maybe putting a few smaller dots in the middle of the line (to indicate that something can happen) might be nice. The cursor changing to an east/west is the bare minimum needed though.

I've never found a reason to adjust the width, to be honest. I like how it forces me to name things short and succinctly. I try to subscribe to the KISS method.

-- Cody

Image Attachments:
resize-pane-concept.png 

4 Mar 2019   [#43]
Hi all,

my humble approach with SubD2NURBS, a super simple toy car. Probably the simplest toy car ever modeled. :-)

@Michael i had a few glitches when trying to fillet the tail lights, because when doing so the trimmed surfaces
from the car body (like the doors) disappeared then and i was left with an intact car body. So i had to fillet in
Autodesk 123 Design.

Since the model is finalized i can't send you the file for inspection. However should this happen again i will
save the steps and mail you the file.

toy-car-Sub-D2-NURBS

Regards
Stefan
4 Mar 2019   [#44]
What a lovely car! Bravo!
4 Mar 2019   [#45] In reply to [#1]
Hi Michael,

thanks for the new beta.

Unfortunately, still no luck with Linux+wine+nvidia as described, here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/lmessages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8839.1

best regards

Bernhard
4 Mar 2019   [#46] In reply to [#45]
Hi Bernhard, can you please send me an e-mail at moi@moi3d.com, I have some other ideas I can try I'll make a test version to send to you.

Thanks, - Michael
5 Mar 2019   [#47]
Thank you Pilou, much appreciated!

Regards
Stefan
5 Mar 2019   [#48] In reply to [#46]
Hi Michael,

I sent you an email as requested.

Thanks for looking into the nvidia+wine issue!

best regards

Bernhard
7 Mar 2019   [#49]
Zbrush 2019 with improved Remesher v3 should be a powerful precursor to the new SUBD addon in moi.

http://pixologic.com/features/
10 Mar 2019   [#50]
"2) Update multiple selection - Add option for doing multiple selection only when shift key is down. Options > General > Multiple selection: "Always" or "Only when Shift is down"."

Thankyou!!! :):):)
11 Mar 2019   [#51]
Hi Michael,

when using v4 beta under Windows 10 and exporting as .obj i always have to expand the dialog box and tick
the merge vertices box. In v3 on the Mac it remembered the state and keeped the dialog box expanded and
the checkbox ticked, when restarting MoI.

Best regards
stefan

Show messages:  1-11  12-31  32-51  52-71  72-91  92-111  …  212-218